Sick pay, what are we entitled to?

(Anita Lea Brazier) #1

My husband is off work “Artisan ME” after an accident where he fell and broke his ankle, He has his arret de travaille for 8 weeks. I have sent it to the RSI, but we have not heard anything yet. According to the website he is entitled to around 22 euros a day, is that just him? we have 2 young children and not sure what we can claim, we have been here for 15 years paying into the system. Any advice much appreciated.

1 Like

(Mandy Davies) #2

The person to ask about this kind of thing is your local Assistant Social. You can get contact details from your Mairie. More info here:

I hope you get some advice. All the best.

2 Likes

(Anita Lea Brazier) #3

Thanks for that Mandy.

1 Like

(Catharine Higginson) #4

Hi Anita,
I hope you get something for your sake but I wouldn’t hold out much hope :frowning:
And yes, as Mandy says, contacting an assistant sociale is a good idea.
I was recently off for a month and got nothing from the RSI despite having been paying in for over a decade. James is also off work too now and I am just so glad that we have an insurance policy organised by @fabien that will pay out in the event of us being unable to work.
I have written a post about it here and hope that some of the information proves useful. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Xx

5 Likes

(Anna Watson) #5

I had a hunch that, as Catherine has confirmed, that us poor prof libs don’t get sick pay. But I have a feeling that artisans do. I seem to remember once coming across this fact and feeling hard done by, but for the OP’s sake I hope I’ve remembered this correctly.

3 Likes

(Timothy Cole) #6

In the last four years I’ve had three periods off work where I had an ‘arret’ and each time I was paid a basic sick pay of around 110/120 Euros per week pretty promptly so I would say to Anita push RSI and don’t take no for an answer. Unfortunately that is the maximum ME’s will get unless they’ve got additional insurance as mentioned by Cat.

3 Likes

(Catharine Higginson) #7

As a prof libérale back in 2010 I was offered the 22€. This time they just said ‘no’ - if anyone knows how to argue the point, I’d love to hear?

2 Likes

(Anita Lea Brazier) #8

Thanks, looks like we are too late now to take out insurance for this incident, it is so frustrating as each year we pay around 8,000 /9,000 to the RSI. Yes i know it covers our carte vitale, but we should also be entitled to sick pay when off work for a few months.

0 Likes

(Anita Lea Brazier) #9

Thanks will push for it. It says on the website that we should get something, no mention of paying extra though when you have children to support.

4e cas : pour les micro-entrepreneurs avec chiffre d’affaires moyen de 55 500 €

Chiffre d’affaires annuel : 55 500 € activité de vente de marchandises
Revenu pris en compte après abattement* : 55 500 x (100 % - 71 %) = 16 095 €
Calcul de l’indemnité : 16 095 € x 1/730 = 22,05 €
L’indemnité journalière est de 22,05 €.

0 Likes

(Timothy Cole) #10

Having special insurance is the only way to go if you’re self employed and have any sort of serious accident which means weeks off work. I spent the year before my hip op saving up to cover the three months I had off work as 120 Euros per week is simply not enough to live off, crazy system but that’s the risk with running your own business here.

0 Likes

(Fabien Pelissier) #11

Prof lib = CIPAV =

1 Like

(Fabien Pelissier) #12

Artisans = Commerçants = (ex) RSI (now URSSAF RSI) = (up to 51e actually)

1 Like

(Fabien Pelissier) #13

Unfortunately in your case @Anita_Lea_Brazier, the first week you’ll get nothing back, and then for the next 7 weeks you can get up to 51€ max per day depending on your turnover so if they told you it’s 22€ I’m afraid that’s it. As @Mandy_Davies said the best is probably to go to see an assistante sociale because the Sécu can help you unlock a special fund exceptionally (they can pay for the rent for one month for example). I cannot urge to take an appointment as soon as possible if you need the extra assistance.

4 Likes

(Anita Lea Brazier) #14

Thank you fabien, will go and see the assistant social.

0 Likes

(barrie wildsmith) #15

3 years ago I had a torn retina and , after 2 and a half months if the Chu not finding it, a different hospital found it within minutes.
After the operation I had the arrête the travaille, i couldn’t see and had to keep my head looking down at all times for many weeks and months where I couldn’t work.
I had paid into the system for over 10 years but had recently moved from the Limousin to the Charente.
When I got someone to fill out the forms for the (arrête de travaille ) it was a couple of weeks later.
The response I got back was refused, for following reasons,
the paperwork was not sent back within 2 days.
I had not been registered in the department for 3 years,
I had not declared enough income,
I don’t remember the 4 th reason.
So lost faith with the system for Autoentropreneurs, as like insurances they always try to get out of it.

0 Likes

(Ken Welsby) #16

The hard life of the self-employed:praised by the politicos for “doing the right thing” – but kicked in the teeth by the system over which they preside.

By my reckoning, if you get €22 in France, that’s €22 more than you would get in the UK.

Back in London I worked as a consultant, had to give up with recurring knee pain – surgery helped, but I still struggled with mobility. Started to bounce back – but then laid low with heart problems: so many “blues and twos” trips to A&E that they knew me by name. (Including three in one week.

So for three years I struggled – a few days freelance work here and there, some of which were interrupted by medical events.

How much did I get from HM Govt: Not one penny.

Now we’re retired, haven’t had any dealings with sick pay – but have to say the health and medical system is what the NHS always aspires to be. Great.

0 Likes

(Anita Lea Brazier) #17

Well we have received a payment from RAM a few days ago for 271.70
RAM PRESTATION MIDI PYRENEES, No explination/ paperwork. Would this be a part payment for sick pay?

0 Likes

(Anna Watson) #18

RAM is a health insurance caisse. Might this be reimbursement of medical expenses?

1 Like

(stella wood) #19

Presumably you have claimed for something… it is unlikely that money hits the bank account without some sort of trail… :thinking:

0 Likes

(Anita Lea Brazier) #20

So it may not be the RSI Paying us for sick pay via the RAM, and i must still chase them up?

0 Likes