Signing Documents in France

Hi, we have received an offer for our house and the agent has given us a form signed by the buyer which has to be signed by us but the words: “reçu en main propre” it says needs to be written which Google tells me means; “received in person” but he has also asked us to add the words “bon pour accord” which means “good for agreement”. which the form says should be added by the buyer only.
My question is; what is the significance if any, of these terms in French other than their face value.
Thanks for the help.

anything in this reference which helps?

Probably a Covid precaution :joy:

Sorry :frowning:

1 Like

Thanks Graham, Interesting article but can’t find the answer on there or on that site.

I’ve always assumed that it essentially signified that I’ve read whatever the document is - contract, devis, purchase document - and am confirming that I accept the totality of it. If the document is just signed it is not really as crystal clear that you have accepted all the details.

On our gîte contracts we ask people to handwrite “lu et apprové” above their signature, which has the same sense to is. And most devis we receive request “bon pour accord”. I can’t remember what has been on the purchase contracts for houses we have bought.

That plus reçu en main propre make it very difficult to wiggle out of the contract.

2 Likes

I think you will find that adding the words “recu en main propre” acknowledge that you have received the entire original document and not just the signature page. The signature acknowledges that the signer has seen the document, but adding the words “bon pour accord” indicates that the signer is in agreement with whatever is stated by the document.
So adding both the above phrases indicates that the signer has both had sight of the entire original document, AND that the signer agrees with the document’s content.

So my advice to you is DO NOT sign any documents whatsoever in such a way unless you fully understand the entire contents of the document. If necessary, obtain a fully certified translation into English and make sure that you read and understand every word.

Good luck, and I hope all goes well with the sale.

1 Like

You might, or might not, be surprised at how many folk do sign a legal document… without understanding the implications (and/or the small print).

Locally, folk with insufficient language, are advised to run a document past someone helpful at the Mairie (our Secretaire is a treasure)… just to be certain of what one is signing/agreeing to… :wink:

@SteveR

Steve… is your Notaire available for advice (possibly the Secretary there will be able to help)… if not how about your Mairie… most Mairies are open

best of luck

Thanks all for the replies, as far as I can find out there is no hidden ancient meaning to these terms and yes we understood exactly what this form contained and meant. We are signing the compromis next week so I will ask the Notaire then, out of interest. She speaks very good English.

2 Likes