Silent Telephone ?!

thank Sue. as I've said it's not so much the call blocking, it's the ringing that's driving us mad!

that's what i want James!

'night mode' - to stop the ringing...

thank you so much - it's tricky to google because 'mute call' brings up thousands of entries to mute a call (obviously) while you are speaking

x t

You might find this useful - www.cprcallblocker.com. We are back in the UK now, and have installed one of these here and it really does what it says on the tin! You might like to check whether it works in France, though. There are contact details on the website.

I have a Panasonic phone with answering. I can block up to 30 numbers. I assign a different ringtone to friends and family numbers so I know when they are ringing and ignore other calls, allowing the machine to answer. If the caller is a nuisance I block the number. I can turn the phone to night mode which mutes the ringer. If you have a landline then nuisance calls are inevitable it would appear, even if you are ex directory.
30 is inadequate for blocked calls so I have to delete some every now and then to make room for new ones. Newer models have greater capacity I believe.

Hope that helps.

I get them occasionally and they are a pain. Unfortunately I get calls from new customers, some of whom block their numbers being displayed so I have to answer. If it is a spam call, I either hang up, just speak in English or put the phone next to a speaker so they can listen to British radio for a while.

Couple of times a day. It's an 0486 number that we all recognise and ignore...

Get them all the time.

I don't bother answering any call if I don't recognise the number.

Does anyone get a call with no one there? After a minute, a computerized woman’s voice says “good-bye” before hanging up. I used to be unnerved by these calls but now just find them a pain.

1 Like

thanks steve... it's a normal landline. but i have a messaging service on the phone so that's not the problem... it's the RING !

you know how you can turn your mobile to silent? but it still takes the call - that's what i want!

My parents won't even call - national or international which is why I jumped at the RED offer - after being royally scr..wed by orange for international call packages !

Do you have a normal landline or does it go via your ADSL box ? If I unplug my phone from the Livebox, it's the Orange Voicemail that kicks in and takes the call.

thanks Helen D

sounds like a great option - what sort of phone make/brand do you have?

(johnny depp has a house near here - every time a helicopter goes over we tell the guests in the chateau it's johnny...)

thanks Helen... I can't get SFR coverage here sadly, and the parents WILL NOT call international mobiles - where i grew up there was just the one phone in the village for years and you had to put money in a jar!

... so that's why it's silent sometimes! great info

x t

Hi Teresa. This won't help your nuisance calls but perhaps your pocket - I subscribed to an SFR RED sim card 12.99€ / month which offers free unlimited international calls to landlines and US mobiles plus of course french landlines and mobiles.

Like you I make sure that I don't rush to answer the phone. Many people get worried that there is no one on the other end when they get to the call but don't realise that a cold call system calls say 10 numbers at once so teh poor beggars who rush to answer the phone get the cold call.

Is an equivalent to the Telephone Preference Service available to help or when you sign up to new services an OPT out button to press.

I am moving to France in Jan 2016 and need home phones etc. With all the nuisance calls in this discussion, I may need to re-think my needs.

Thanks

I have changed the ring tone for all important calls e.g. parents, Johnny Depp :wink: etc. I just ignore the rest & check caller id / messages later. Simples.

gerard can you adjust the ringer volume to zero?

thanks all... i think!

i have to have a landline for two sets of elderly parents in the uk and ireland, for them to call us and for us to call them! skype is not an option for them, calling international from my mobile is too expensive

i never actually answer the phone - it is 99.9% of the time a nuisance call as no-one has the number apart from them.

so i'm looking for a phone that doesn't 'ring'... & goes straight to answer phone.

surely it must exist? !!!

Hi also plagued by nuisance calls so got a new Panasonic phone that will block up to 50 numbers.

This has worked - once you know the number is a telesales or whatever it can be blocked.

It still shows the numbers in the call log so you can see how many have called but not got through. All those times I have not rushed to the phone for no reason :-)

We get silent calls but it's easy to identify the numbers on the caller display and ignore them.

We have a Gigaset phone which allows you to adjust the ringer volume.

Don't rush to the phone every time it rings.

Change the ringtone to a lovely tune and enjoy the moment.