Silver plated

Bought a tankard yesterday at a V’G’, it’ silver plated, with a mark, “ins” on the bottom, what is that? only seen the “epns” before which I know.

Lots of info here,

http://www.silvercollection.it/dictionarydecryptingsilverplatemarks.html

1 Like

Saw that Chris, hoped someone might save me ploughing through it :slightly_smiling_face:

Ask your in house photographer to take a pic and put it on the What is it thread😉

2 Likes

Something like this,
http://www.silvercollection.it/scottishsilversmithsinverness.html

Aha… … INS = Inverness do you think… been used since 1770’s ish according to the link… fascinating… I was trying all sorts of computations but came up empty… :thinking:

I spent hours a few years ago trying to find out what the marks were on a piece of silver. They were quite faint. In the end I took it to Raj Bisram who put me out of my misery, valued it and put it into auction…didn’t sell though.

1 Like

This is a useful/interestingl list of Scottish Provincial Hallmarks… (Town Marks) …

1 Like

‘Slightly’ off thread but I visited a vide grenier today and fell in love with a teapot in the shape of a fireplace. Could tell at a glance that it was somehing special. Paid the 14 euros asked and it was duly wrapped with the local newspaper. Once home I took a good look, it is a Paul Cardew limited edition, signed, checked and numbered.
Price 2 nd hand on e bay £125.
Mum collects unusual teapots and was thrilled with it, as was I, it has pride of place and we are well pleased ! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Amazing what treasures we find Misty :+1:

Funny how thing look diffente wit a picture !

1 Like

So, what does the ‘Stamp’ mean, ‘Plated Nickel Silver’ ??? Britsh Stamp?
Works well, whatever :slightly_smiling_face:
Great,r keeps my beer cool, whatever the mark :+1:

Bill… I wonder if the E is simply missing… which would make it E.P.N.S. which we all know :thinking:

The letters look unevenly worn… and the E might be worn away… :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Could be Stella, I’d thought that too :slightly_smiling_face:

Felt in love with this one today, 5 euros. Not a lot for good Limoges never been used !

2 Likes

That would be my bet

1 Like

Yes Paul, after B’ took the photo, it’s clearly a ‘p’, anyway it works well after ‘trials’ :yum:

1 Like

Yes I thought the same as Stella - that the E has worn off . Still , if it makes you happy and serves
It’s purpose what’s in an E? :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Verry 'Appy Vanessa :+1:

Can’t wait to get over there and start finding these treasures. Elisabeth, that teapot is gorgeous!

1 Like