Simple recipe

My lovely neighbors have just given me these

which l normally just sauté or pop into an omelette, any other recipe please?

2 Likes

Why not dry them for winter.

1 Like

With a few dried and other fresh mushrooms make a great mushroom risotto?

2 Likes

If you dry what look like girolles from the photo, they will only be good for grounding up & using in sauces or as some form of condiment, as girolles don"t re hydrate well, better to freeze them if you have to many.

3 Likes

make a lovely mushroom risotto. sweat onion (finely chopped) in some butter, add risotto rice (70 gr. per person) and a glass of white wine. keep cooking, adding stock (chicken or vegetable about 1 litre) as it reduces and keep stirring. Taste rice after about 25 minutes, when almost done add girolles, fresh ground pepper and if stock was not salty, season with a bit of salt. cook until rice is done and mushrooms are cooked. garnish with some chopped parsley

I can’t wait to go mushroom picking. Too early in Scotland yet and by the time we will get to France the season will be almost over. But there is always next year!

3 Likes

Thank you all for your suggestions.
Never think to make risotto as husband does not like pale looking food :roll_eyes: so maybe I can freeze whats over?

Add a bit of saffron to make it look livelier? Either that or bright red food dye?

Risotto Lily? Peasant food - as you say ‘pale’ and completely overrated. Bit like Paella - never had a decent one in my life! Flavoured rice - what’s all that about?!? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Anyway rice = bacteria trap, yuk.

1 Like

Bacillus cereus, yum :slight_smile:

1 Like

Stand by of many a food hygiene exam

3 Likes

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/food-and-diet/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning/#general-discussion

Wouldn’t feed it to my dogs!

1 Like

Cricky! :nauseated_face:

@Lily. Don”t freeze it - cooked rice loses it’s texture and is really not nice. Maybe mixed mushroom tagliatelle would be better? Sauté mushrooms with garlic, parsley, a bit of chilli and mix through the tagliatelle. Could add small cubes of red pepper for colour perhaps…

1 Like

That sounds delicious, I love pasta :yum:

No doubt an Italian would blanch in horror, but we often fry up cubes of potato and throw that on too as well.

Freshly cooked rice is perfectly safe to eat. Your bacteria laden example is the one that comes from a take away & sits on the coffee table overnight. Gets reheated after 12 hrs at room temperature. A lot of foods (unless highly processed) would be full of bacteria too…

I tend to listen to what medical professionals say.

Well, yes indeed.

It wasn’t exactly my example, I only chipped in with a bit of info regarding the common and somewhat specific organism which tends to be identified in cases of food poisoning due to improperly cooked/stored/reheated rice.

I often reheat rice, it’s always been refrigerated straight after the first serving though. Apparently gravy is another no no.

1 Like

a lot of things can be ‘dangerous’ if not properly cooled/reheated. sometimes I am surprised at being alive, having taken a few ‘risks’ in my lifetime.
but we ran an accommodation business and served food - so making sure we did not ‘poison’ anyone was a very big priority,
love arancini though and often cook a little extra risotto to make them.

2 Likes