Six months visa-free for British visitors

Good Lord, some people do need to go and lie down in a quiet room, don’t they? I’m retired, so what I do in France has nothing to do with ‘work’ unless prefaced by ‘pro bono’.

And I don’t know of any ‘French guide writers’ who are prepared to cruise their own waterways noting all the details of the moorings, photographing them and producing guides in English - let alone donating all the proceeds to charity.

Last word, Graham. From here on you rant alone.

GORDON KNIGHT

6 Likes

signed.
and now I’m going to get unending marketing spam from MesOpinions!
Great.

Thanks for suffering for the cause, Jonathan! You can unsubscribe once you receive the first email from Mes Opinions (though it takes a while for them to remove you from the list). If you keep getting emails after a reasonable time, just mark them as junk and they’ll soon disappear.
GORDON KNIGHT

1 Like

Gordon,
Welcome to the site, I see it’s your first post and what a welcome some have given you…
Personnally I think it f’ing rude of other members to jump to conclusions or question your tax status and finger point you out over your countries Brexit.
We have a few nice waterways here in Burgundy and quite a few British barge owners, maybe worth a look next time you’re over.

12 Likes

Proceeds or profits - make your mind up :roll_eyes:

Nice way to greet a new member!

8 Likes

Give it a rest!

5 Likes

Well said!

2 Likes

As somebody who demonstrated in London for a second vote I am very annoyed at
comments suggesting the Brits voted for Brexit so should ‘suck it up’ (my words). EU membership was stolen by professional liers - one who happens to be Prime Minister. The people were enticed with promises of huge boosts to the NHS and threats of millions of new EU citizens invading the UK job market. This is not to mention campaign fund law breaking and personal data misuse.
Polls tell us that most people regret the decision.

8 Likes

Politics is full of snakes and liars … on all sides and from all parties. At the end of the day, those who could be bothered to get out of bed and vote did so with a majority to leave - it has happened and now the UK needs to get on with it along with the rest of the world.

I’m just as much entitled to make my opinions known here as any one else is and so I wont «give it rest».
If you think my comments breach the T&Cs you have the right to address that issue with the Team.

Thanks, Warren. Don’t worry about the welcome - it’s very hard to open a can on the internet these days without finding a few worms in it.

In my experience, those who impute disreputable motives to others do so not out of a sense of righteousness but one of guilt.

Yes, Burgundy is lovely. We’ve cruised the Canal de Bourgogne as far as the Pouilly Tunnel (at which point the VNF closed it); the Petite Saone up to Corre; the Canal du Rhone au Rhin up through Dole and the River Seille to Louhans (wonderful waterway and so little used!).

Oh, and the Canal du Centre through Santenay and the Cote de Beaune. Wonderful country - which is why we want others to be able to enjoy it as we have.

Kind regards,

GORDON

1 Like

I want to echo Warren’s comment. Perhaps we should have - not a rule - but an ethos, an attempt to assume the positive first, and raise negatives (if indeed there are any) only when we’re sure of them.

5 Likes

That’s what I did. A simple search was quite revealing.
There are commercial motives behind the OP’s appeal for signatures to his petition.

So do I, but I do have some sympathy for the immediate reaction of some who have been critical, it is very hard not to be bitter about the straights many of us have been plunged into by a deceitful bunch of chauvinists without even being allowed the civil right of a citizen to a vote on the matter. Especially as many of us have been severely punished financially at the end of our hard working, and contributing, lives.

1 Like

Sorry, the OP asked a question, just answer the question. We have what we have. Oh so often we just mouth off. The OP asked a question, he is not asking for abuse. As far as i am concerned i live here and have done for some time, people go on about its got an english reg plate they dont have this they dont have this, what is the problem with people. Those who live here and live above the law, as most do then great stuff. Let those who dont face the consequences that will hopefully follow.

1 Like

Totally agree with you Frank :sunglasses: I does annoy me when some folks on here go in feet first looking for the worst in everything all they time.

1 Like

Interesting set of posts.
Sorry for Gordon and others that their options in France (& EU) are going to be severely restricted.
Gordon, given your long pedigree at the head of major PR agency and Cruising association did you not see this coming so why is it only now you have to do this,?
Most of use living here are fed up/frustrated/nervous/grumpy/cynical/worried …I could go on and on…about Brexit on our daily lives, health, finances, so having to get extra papers so you can cruise for more than 90 days seems not that big an issue so maybe why your points resulted in the comments made!

Unfortately the government of our nationality has over 4 years let us down.
…but we have to live with it and hope over time there might be some softening round the edges, two things to remember in this, the UK (IF it still exists post a probable 2023 IndeyRef2) is very unlikely to rejion the EU in our life time. After all the rancour no major political party dare suggest it.
Also that in the main if UK wants significant change in relationship then in majority of cases it will be only after all 27 EU members are happy and agree, no small task!
So we are stuck with it all certainly for the next few years as given Covid nether party has the time or inclination to start asking for change…in short there few voted in Brexit topics now in the UK…so I think you need to get long stay forms prepared !!

5 Likes

Unless it’s a party aimed at yoof. After all, the rancorous ones are steadily dying off.
(No offense intended to anyone who’s lost elderly loved ones.)

Dare one point out that the elephant in the room with this petition seems to be that even before Brexit Brits did not technically have the right to visit another EU country for 6 months consecutive. FoM rules and French law give EU citizens the right to spend up to 3 months in France as visitors. The OP is petitioning France to give Brits a right post-Brexit, that they never had pre-Brexit.
Of course this rules is not policed, I suppose it is the personal responsibility of citizens to be aware of it and either respect it, or not. If they choose not to, that is tolerated but doing something that is tolerated is not the same as having the right, if having overstayed they get into a situation where they need assistance the host country can shrug its shoulders and say We have no obligations towards you because you had no right stay here as a visitor for all this time.

It will be interesting to see how far he gets with a petition that in effect says We used to be able to break this rule and get away with it, after Brexit we will not be able to get away with it so can you change the rule for us please?

1 Like