Skimmer not got much suction

Unfortunately our pool has been neglected for the last few weeks. I decided to give it a clean this evening and found that the skimmer basket had not got its usual sock over it. So the basket was absolutely clogged with small leaves and twigs. The basket in the pump also was badly clogged. I cleaned them both thoroughly and then realised that the skimmer is working but doesn’t seem to have much suction.

The pushers at the other end of the pool seem to be working, but there isn’t a strong current drawing the stuff off the top of the pool into the skimmer.

I attached the hose in the skimmer exit pipe and gave the pool a clean but the brush didn’t seem to be vacuuming the dirt off the bottom very well.

I’m wondering whether the pipe from the skimmer into the pool house is partially blocked and if so, what can I do?

If it’s not that, I’d be grateful for thoughts on what might be the problem and whether it can easily be fixed. Thanks for any suggestions/advice.

Is there air in the pump/does it need bleeding?

1 Like

Have you opened the air bleed on.the top of the filter, is the pump basket pre filter filled with water?

1 Like

Thank you both for your advice. The water was down in the basket - now filled. I’ve been bleeding the air bleed on the top of the filter. When the air stops coming out I turn the system back on, let it run for a bit, turn it off and then find there’s more air to come out of the air bleed. Does that mean air is getting in somewhere?

The skimmer still is not working optimally. When it’s working well the thermometer that floats round the pool gets drawn to the skimmer entrance. That’s not happening. Anything else I need to do?

It should settle down when most of the air is out, keep doing what you are, don’t be afraid to bleed air out of the top of the filter with the pump running?

1 Like

Once the debris is out and the air is vented from the filter, try closing off the suction to the sump to increase the suction to the skimmer.

1 Like

If repeated bleeding doesn’t cure the problem then its possible that air is getting in on the low pressure side of the system, might be a seal on the pump or filter​:thinking:

1 Like

Maun drains do nothing except reducing the skimming action and dirt enters from the top so that is the best place to collect it.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. I’ll keep going. Hoping to get in the pool later - first time this year, :slight_smile:

Where is the sock now?

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for your advice. Delighted to say pool looking good and the bits of flower petals in the skimmer are reassuringly circling. :grinning:

3 Likes

Glad you got it sorted :+1:

1 Like

Well done Sue, patience pays off.

1 Like

I had no suction on the brush, and had to call in the wonderful Pat who knows everything. He found a blockage from the pipe into the pump basket, jamed fast with oak seeds an small twigs. Nothing to do with the baskets, to do with vacuuming the pool, the brush had sucke up twiglets round which all had jammed. Gzt rid of this sort of stuff with net and pole before brushing or call in a genius whowill find it, cur it out and replace some pipe.

2 Likes