Skirts or trousers?

Here we go again….

So unnecessary. Just let everyone wear trousers or skirts or shorts (not that I can see why anyone would want to wear a skirt, ever, stupid useless garment). Thank goodness that’s not a problem we have here (see also: hair dye, shoes etc).

5 Likes

Having put four kids through school here the no uniform policy was both a blessing and a curse so whilst they wore what they wanted there was a ‘silent’ uniform code because certain bits of their attire had to be recognised ‘brands’ especially shoes and backpacks.

3 Likes

My five daughters didn’t have any brand pressure at all when it came to shoes and backpacks but maybe like a well formatted French parent I got them the ‘acceptable’ things without thinking about it because of being French.

2 Likes

So glad I’m not subject to these “progressives” any more.

1 Like

I prefer a floral dress at the weekends!

4 Likes

Progressives?
When I was a a tiny child and only girl at a little boys’ prep school they all wore kilts or games kit or shorts.

Obviously you don’t climb trees or do cartwheels or ride a bike or get sweaty legs. Dresses, like skirts, are an aberration.
Mind you my grandfather who didn’t do any of those things obviously, wore a kimono or a yukata all summer to work and at home, driving car or motorbike or boat he didn’t care.

2 Likes

Our games shorts had to be no shorter than an inch of the ground when kneeling down - mind you this was the 50s/60s.
These days - I can’t remember when I last wore a dress.

1 Like

The school’s decision is beyond daft and raises more issues than it solves, a simple change allowing shorts or skirts for both sexes would not have grabbed much media attention and kept both pupils and parents happy.

4 Likes

“Progressives” = Those lovely people that shame and try to ruin anyone who doesn’t believe that there are 57 genders and it’s not totally fine to have drag queens read LGBTQ+ stories to 5-6 year olds.

6 Likes

Photo please !

1 Like

There are obviously no progressives other than the right wing media then, funny how these things go eh?

1 Like

But some of us like to show a bit of (hairy) leg!

1 Like

I love my gardening kilt! It’s actually meant for male arboriculturalists. So v heavy duty and with loads of places to put tools and stuff.

Skorts are nice for sports.

Our gymslips were measured like that, with a ruler, to be 1 inch above our knees, with us kneeling on the ground, by the Assistant Head Teacher.

1 Like

Neither did our kids - none of them or their friends as far as I know have ever been interested in having fashionable brands. Obviously there are subcultures within peer groups that place importance on such things, but less so here than in the UK I think (where it is always cited as an argument in favour of school uniforms - showing I think the paucity of any substantial argument in their favour).

1 Like

Interesting, my eldest (now 21) never worried about brands. The 16 year old, total different story! Not sure if age or temperament. I didn’t believe DS2 that he had a o have a brand T-shirt until a rugby party and they ALL had brands.

Loved uniforms bin Oz, so easy, shorts and t-shirts, no stress, much cheaper! Not so much for my private boarding school for my parents :rofl: