Smart TV and WIFI UK progs thru Orange?

WIFI is part of the TV. Is it best to have the WIFI line plugged directly into the TV. Using the provider Orange are UK programmes available? And Netflix, Youtube etc?

I subscribe to Netflix which is one of a huge catalogue of subscription TV channels available via my Orange router.

Netflix has a subtitling function for all its offerings, with many language options.
There are a few English language channels free, such as BBC International, SKY International, France24 News International.

Netflix costs €9 per month.

Orange doesn’t deliver UK programmes, you need Freesat for that, via a separate installation requiring a satellite dish, at least we do.

Thank you, Peter.
Would I connect the Smart TV from the WIFI box, or straight from the outside lines that come into the WIFI box? Do you see what I mean? Is it possible to have two WIFI lines coming into the house?
Does a Smart TV have a connection for a Sky box?

Not sure what you mean by “WiFi line” - presumably you mean your fixed line internet connection and as it is Orange presumably that is connected to a Livebox?

It would also help to know what part of France you live in/have property in.

Yes, connected to a Livebox.
Does a wire then go from the Livebox to the Smart TV?
I live in Deux Sevres
Thank you for your help.

@johneliot do you have the Orange white TV box with a user card?
If so, you plug that into the Livebox with an RJ45 cord (Orange helpfully supply one with yellow ends - not that the colour is significant) and then an HDMI cable from the white Orange TV box to your smart TV. Depending on which port it is connected to on the smart TV it will present itself as HDMI1, 2 or 3 etc and you select that on the smart TV by selecting «source».
The Livebox is connected to the telephone line either by the ‘T’ connector or (if you have a more recent installation) the Livebox uses the american style telephone cord with the smaller plug each end. The other end connects to the ADSL filter (in the DTI) or the upside down ‘T’ filter in the wall.
If you wish to use the smart TV to receive programs over the internet, you can either:

1. connect your smart TV to your Orange Livebox using WiFi (you will need your WiFi key)

or

1. connect an RJ45 cord to a spare socket on the Livebox and the other end in the RJ45 socket on the TV

Using a suitable subscription such as Netflix you can then stream TV over the internet to your smart TV.
I hope that helps clarify things a bit more for you.

You will/may have two flat black boxes in your Orange kit. One is the Livebox (or router) which is the hub through which signals are delivered to your mobile phone(s) if you have such, to your Internet radio(s) if you have such, to your laptop or tablet, and to your printer too. All this is done wirelessly, you don’t have to join those items to the Livebox with wires, unless the Livebox instructs you to do so, or because the appliances are too far from the router to connect wirelessly.

If you have a mobile smartphone (eg an android or iPhone) you can download an Orange app which helps you to manage all your internet connected appliances, and fixes problems for you, simpy and intuitively: mine does!

The other box is the TV box. It does not have any SKY connection, nor can it access UK TV which requires a satellite dish, at least mine does, which is why I have 2 TVs!

The Orange TV decoder sits alongside the Livebox router and is connected to it by a plug-in cable. It has its own ‘remote’ which manages it’s functions e.g. changing channels etc. That remote also manages the Livebox.

Once all linked up, the TV is an excellent interface with Orange and will guide you through set-up, glitches, breakdowns etc in English and/or French.

I rate its services and reliability very highly after three years of use. I subscribed briefly to Free which was not nearly as reliable, although slightly cheaper.

Thank you, Peter and Graham.
I think I just have a Livebox. I know when speaking to Orange a few months ago our subscription was reduced because we didn’t have TV with Orange.
I’m going to have to look at the box tomorrow and maybe contact Orange about this.

We are no longer with Orange so have lost the Orange TV box.
For French TV, we have a free subscription to Molotov TV and there is an app already on the smart TV (Samsung) for it. We can either connect the TV by WiFi or by RJ45 to get the main French channels and depending on your download speed, there should be no ‘stuttering’.
Our download speed (using Bouygues) is now 20 mbps plus (it was 3.5 with Orange) and have connected the TV by RJ45.
When we used the Orange TV box, the internet speed dropped significantly and Orange tweaked or balanced the speed to accommodate the two aspects for best effect.

Unless they’ve changed it the subscription does not change whether you take the TV package or not.

You pay a one-off fee for the decoder and you pay rental for the Livebox - you can avoid the rental for the Livebox if you do not have the TV package (or use the Livebox for your phone connection).

Assuming that you have a fast enough internet connection the Orange TV package gives you good access to French TV but you can also get normal French digital telly (TNT - TĂ©lĂ©vision NumĂ©rique Terrestre), you get more channels with Orange (up to 160 included and I think you can pay for additional ones) but I am always reminded of the lyrics of “Nobody Home” when faced with a choice of hundreds of TV channels.

Higher rates of subscription do get you a few more features - optional channels VOD, more destinations for included phone calls, that sort of thing.

Depending on the TV features you can get Netflix and Amazon Prime video apps but they will be the French versions - don’t know how much English material they offer but I suspect that it won’t be much.

Right, next question - what UK TV do you want to watch?

Why two TVs Peter ?
Our telly connects automatically by WiFi to our Orange Livebox every time we turn it on, and is also connected by an HDMI cable to our Freesat box for UK TV by satellite. Just need to use the TV remote to change the ‘source’ selected to be able to switch from the satellite to the WiFi connection and back again as desired.

Thanks Robert! My wife and I have the undreamed-of retirement luxury of two very large ‘his-and-hers’ salons, each with its own TV. It’s just a matter of convenience: she likes “Loose Women” and British soaps, while I prefer to watch the Tour de France and French stuff

The above is my sanctuary, I’ m watching Fargo on Netflix
:hugs:

1 Like

Aha ! The secret is revealed. The age old conflict between Coronation Street and The Open University rears its head again. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you all for your advice and help. Had a long chat with Netflix. Now the next stage!

I use plug in extenders to get my tv connected to the internet for Netflix.
One is behind the Livebox and connected with an Ethernet cable, the other is behind the tv and connected via another Ethernet cable.
I get U.K. tv through a SKY box via satellite and French tv via an aerial plugged into the aerial socket in the back of the tv.
I also only pay €32.99 for my internet as I got a reduction from Orange for not having TV with them

David

Simple question, do you have a Smart TV?

Yes John

We have a Samsung and I hate technology but found it relatively easy to set up

The tv I have is in the living room and the livebook is about 12 metres away in another room.

I got two plug in extenders fro Orange shop, plugged into the electric sockets, one behind Livebox, one behind tv, connected to each by Ethernet cable. This extends the Internet straight to the tv and doesn’t rely on WiFi.

We have a sky box connected by HDMI and tv Aerial connected by aerial coax for French tv without needfor a set op tv box as it uses tv tuner to pick up the French tv channels, mainly use tat for news, weather and sport.

I fitted the aerial myself as the roof isn’t too high and that set up cost me about 150€. Sky dish was already in place

We get Netflix through internet using our sons account

Anything else, just ask

Regards

David

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Only to be totally clear, you have a Samsung Smart TV? Sounds pedantic I know but you missed out the word Smart!

Yes, Samsung SMART TV

Thank you, David.

Only half of my original message seems to have arrived, which may have made me look impolite!