Smart TV problem

Hi all just got a new smart TV as with these things when I got it home I discovered it does not have a scart connection to connect to my sky box which is very old maybe 10/15 years old and new TV only has a HMDI slot is there anyway to get around this problem until I can get a newer set-top box hoping someone has an idea

https://www.amazon.fr/AMANKA-Adaptateur-Peritel-Convertisseur-peritel/dp/B09KX775Q4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=1G0I5X1WECOMR&keywords=hdmi+scart+converter&qid=1660228624&sprefix=hdmi+sc%2Caps%2C147&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExNE9JQVVDSUJNQUpIJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTM2Nzk4MVhNOFlaWlNTODZORCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzA4MDY3MkJRSkwxUUpaNU9TUCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3Bob25lX3NlYXJjaF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

1 Like

That should work but the quality will be terrible. Well, OK, it will be what the old Sky box will put out, so not actually worse than you have had previously but significantly less quality than you should be getting.

Surely Sky will supply you with a new decoder?

3 Likes

Have you used one? That looks like an HDMI > SCART converter which is the opposite of what the OP wants.

1 Like

Hi mark your reply came through in a secret code

needs to be unscrambled?

Ha, indeed! - the one Mark posted is HDMI in (I should have looked) and SCART/Peritel out

This one is the other way around - which is what @shihtzu needs (I think).

https://www.amazon.fr/AMANKA-Adaptateur-Convertisseur-projecteur-Moniteur/dp/B097MHBQ3T

The less “secret code” link to the one Mark identified is:

https://www.amazon.fr/AMANKA-Adaptateur-Peritel-Convertisseur-peritel/dp/B09KX775Q4

1 Like

Hi thank you billybutcher now I see from link yes that is what I want Mark’s reply came scrambled by the way does a newer sky box have a HMDI outlet because price wise they are about the same and would a French box work?

We need to know a bit more about your set-up.

To start with, I presume that you live in France?

2nd do you actually subscribe to Sky, or do you just use the decoder box for free channels?

Yes been living in France for 20 years just using decoder for free channels

Just use HDMI SCART in amazon.fr

More like just get a modern Freesat decoder.

I solved this with a TV with Freesat built in, before that I used a Manhatten box, I think some other members of SF might have more current satellite receivers but something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TV-Satellite-Receiver-Stations-integrated-Black/dp/B0842X7B2S

should do the job without breaking the bank (and is barely more expensive than one of the SCART to HDMI converters).

1 Like

Sky’s ever decreasing free channels should serve as a warning. May as well get a larger list of free viewing and buy a better box as BillyButcher suggests

2 Likes

I confess I’ve only ever very briefly been a Sky customer - back when for a short period you could effectively get an Internet only subscription from them. Think I had it for a year and that was for one specific, short, series.

I can see the appeal if you like sport, otherwise, meh, Freesat gives all the British TV we want in France (together with the digital catch up services on the smart TV).

2 Likes

That is the preferable option, you can watch everything in glorious HD🙂

2 Likes

Indeed but sky reduces that choice if using one of their boxes.

It doesn’t surprise me but if @shihtzu is only using the Sky box for decoding free to air stuff, and is using a 20 year old box which only has a SCART connector then I suspect getting a modern HD Freesat decoder connected via HDMI is going to be quite the revelation for him - both in terms of amount of content and quality of picture.

Freesat is probably in built if it’s a new tv

Not if it’s purchased in France. Unless it has both a DVB compliant EPG (which it Should do, but some aren’t) and the ability to set the default transponder, which is much less likely.

If only I had waited for your next missive already ordered the converter c’est la vie