Smart TV problem

Frustrating indeed when you consider that I had become at ease with the setup not even thinking that a real keyboard could operate the onscreen one. The good news is that I really like this new one and, if it can’t be used with the tv, will continue to use it for the pc and keep the old one, wired, in reserve.

Yes, that one, and the other one you said may work, that you posted a link to, both will not work with your TV as they use the same sort of wireless receiver that you plug into a USB port.

That’s exactly the same as the one I use with mt RPi4

1 Like

So what is the point of advertising them to work with smart TVs then? Seems like I have got the wrong kind of smart TV, rather than the wrong keyboards. :roll_eyes:

You’ve got it in one, David. The big problem is that it’s almost impossible to discover exactly how a TV works and what it can do until you’ve bought it and unpacked it. The published specs are pretty impenetrable unless you speak current and fluent geek…

I’ve looked at the ad carefully, and it is misleading. First, it says it supports wireless with the little dongle (won’t work with probably an TV) and also bluetooth, which will work with many TVs that support bluetooth. It also says in the blurb further down
Navigate your computer connected to your TV more easily from your couch
This suggests that it can be used to control a PC based media streamer that is connected to your TV, but it doesn’t mention controlling the TV itself.
So, it’s basically a bit of marketing fluff that makes it look better than it actually is.

Eddie has just left and, as expected, he couldn’t get the keyboard to fully work on the tv though strangely the key pad did work, but not the letter keys.
But the good news is that he did manage to get the wifi to work, using the remote. When multiple attempts by me to input the whole 26 digit Livebox key failed after the 21st letter he pressed on with the remaining letters and numbers even though they weren’t showing on the screen. What a bizarre way to go about something so vital without saying anything.
He also said that the LG that I briefly replaced it with almost certainly would work with the keyboard because he has the same setup and made me promise to get him up here to set it up if I do go down that route again. :grinning:

1 Like

Crikey, that’s really poor design. If there was a physical limit as to how many characters would fit in a box, they could have at least s rolled the password sideways so you could at least see what you were typing. Anyway, it’s great that you now have WiFi connection working. So much easier than a trailing cable :+1:

Yes, I thought that too, but it was the cheapest on offer at the time, about €140. But it was worse than that, there was plenty of room on the screen, just that they refused to use it.

The trailing cable stays in place even though not in use now, but will be removed in the winter if we have to have a fire and at least now, that is possible.

Not really looked at this thread before as I don’t have a smart TV, and dont know if it might help , but my Livebox code is only the first 16 characters of the 26

While I was in the throes of trying to sort this thing it was suggested to me by someone that only the first 8 mattered. But that didn’t work and the Orange helpline person said no, all 26 are needed.

For future ease of use I suggest you change it from the ridiculous factory set password (EDIT; sorry, key). It will save your sanity.

1 Like

Pity the Orange helpline person didn’t mention that, and explain how.
I suppose by going to the Orange website, I’ll have a look at it, but I am always nervous mucking about with things I don’t understand, a firm believer in Beware of Unintended Consequences. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Well having worked out that mine is Livebox 2 I went onto the Orange site and clicked on changer mot de passe for that.

The first thing it said was 'the mot de passe for Livebox 2 is the 1st 8 characters of the key de securite.
Really,? That is what I was told by someone when I was struggling with getting wifi on the Hyundai in the first place. And what I tried with the tv and it failed. Later, yesterday as we now know, it is not the first 8 but the whole 26. Which is what the helpline told me.

Doesn’t exactly instill confidence in the process does it?

Now I have the wifi and I know what the password is, I think I’ll leave well alone. :thinking:

BTW @Badger My sanity is way beyond saving. :roll_eyes: :confused:

‘security key’ and the ‘password’ are two very different things, for different purposes.
The WiFi security key is a key used when a client device, like a PC or your TV connects to your WiFi router. This is what you had to enter from your TV.
I assume that what they mean by ‘password’ is the password used to gain access to the routers web based user interface, used to configure the router.

If that means to enable the tv to connect to the livebox that it has detected, then yes, that is exactly what they mean and what the tv needed. And the man at Orange called it a password too. If only the tv had not hidden the fact that it got tired of displaying characters it was accepting several weeks ago I could have saved myself a lot of anguish and time.

Orange has at least 4 other passwords etc. in addition to that long security key. Very confusing but at least I know what is meant by the password to connect to the Livebox now.

Deep breath David. No, to connect the TV to the Livebox, you use the 26 digit WiFi key. Strictly speaking, this is not a password, it’s a key. The difference may sound like semantics, but it’s not. A ‘key’ is used to encrypt data between two endpoints (e.g your TV and the Livebox), whereas a password is used to control access to something, e.g your email or your PC etc.
So, you used the 26 digit key to create an encrypted connection between your TV and the Livebox. You use the shorter password to gain access to the router in order to configure it.
If an Orange guy calls the key a password, then he’s just wrong, and probably doesn’t appreciate what the difference is between a key and a password.

Edit: In saying that, I’ve known ISPs call the WiFi key a password in their published literature, so it’s no wonder it can be confusing.

2 Likes

Clowns, all of them. In and out as fast as they can (are they contractors paid per call?) and blame the problem on whatever isn’t within their remit. That not only Orange BTW, it’s all the service providers I’ve had the misfortune to contract with.

1 Like

I should’ve thought of this sooner but if you have a smartphone and install the Ma Livebox app then it’s really simple to create a “guest” network. The idea is you can then allow friends to use your internet access without giving them your normal wi-fi details.

In the app, you just click “wi-fi invitée”. It asks you to choose a name for this guest wi-fi network plus create a password. The minimum password length is 8 characters so there should be no issues with entering it on your Hyundai TV. You then choose how long it should be created for but can choose “illimité”.

Probably no use to you now but perhaps worth remembering if you need to replace your TV or you add new devices that don’t work with your long password :slightly_smiling_face:

'Fraid I have to stop you there, @Gareth , but thank you for the thought. :wink: :smiley:

Just knowing that the 26 digits is my (non) password is sufficient to handle any new additions. Most of my original problems came from wondering what it was that they wanted. Now I know, I can cope. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like