Smooth hummus

Or griddled snail mucus if you are called Blumenthal…
And he probably uses squirrels rather than chick peas.

I never made it passed Heston services :blush:

2 Likes

Just because you can throw some ingredients together and whizz them up in a food processor does not make it hummus it’s “a dip”
It’s a bit like calling Pelforth blond Real Ale

I imagine a mortar and pestle.

Which is probably older than the Ark!

1 Like

I use the hummus recipe my neighbour in Damascus gave me when I was a student :slightly_smiling_face: she also made fantastic stuffed veg, I wish I had a lovely little courgette hollowing out knife like hers.

I use a spoon scorp. They’re not cheap but I happen to have one as part of my woodworking kit. It tends to spend more time in the kitchen than the shed

1 Like

Just use a spoon, I learnt this from my dear departed Greek Aunty

Not if you want to use courgettes about 3cm in diameter max and to keep them whole with just the stalk end off :slightly_smiling_face:

Apple corer then?

I’ll find a way of getting the cunning instrument :slightly_smiling_face: it’s got a wooden handle, looks like a gouge but not straight, turned up a bit at the end. I don’t think I’ve ever had such fabulous petits farcis as chez one particular Damascene family, even though my aunt’s are a hard lot to beat.

Try here 0.48€ 92% de réduction|Carottier multifonctionnel pour fruits et légumes, extracteur de trous pour légumes et fruits, 4 pièces | AliExpress

or even better still … RESULT !!!

Make it yourself (this is our local centre of savoir faire)

Or find an artisan metalworker to do so for you.

1 Like

All excellent ideas :slightly_smiling_face: thank you !

1 Like

Unless it’s made of stainless, it’s going to rust - incidentally hand-made stainless knives around here like Laguiole are often €100 to sky’s the limit (mammoth ivory handles etc).

However, if you wanted to make your own corer, cut out a length of stainless steel tubing with an angle grinder or a multi-tool allowing additional uncut length for the handle. Sharpen the cut edges and voila !

Not if you look after it,…

1 Like

I’ve got a carbon steel Chinese cleaver and a Sabatier boning knife both of which I’ve owned since the mid-Seventies, they’re a labour of love to keep clean and anything tubular like a corer would be much more hassle -

Nice idea, but maybe not a good solution!

I don’t find my carbon knife a problem. Wash, dry and store…and very occasionally oil, like once a year. As long as you keep it dry and don’t live in a swamp it should be fine.

They were banned from commercial kitchens decades ago,

I’ve probably had my carbon steel kitchen utensils longer than you, but I’m not sentimental about them. The cleaver does its job and the boning knife doesn’t yet need replacing, but replacements for either would be stainless - artisanal blacksmithing for a corer is just a romantic notion. I have one 32 layer Damascene blade artisanal Santoku knife, but its stainless. Carbon steel in the kitchen’s just not as good in several ways

Stainless is a far more down to earth, practical choice and if you can make it yourself even better - simple design and a simple solution.

But it can not be sharpened to as fine an edge as non stainless…

1 Like