Smooth hummus

I used his method. 30 mins in the (Instant Pot) pressure cooker for the pois chiches. I could have strained them better, but still it was very creamy and smooth.

1 Like

When we lived in Dubai every now and then we used to get a ā€œdressed chickenā€ take away from the Food and Drink restaurant in Jumeirah, just down the road from us. It was a very basic resto, sort of a greasy spoon Dubai style, but the local Emirati would queue outside in their Landcruisers for the ā€œdressed chickenā€. Thatā€™s how we noticed it. A dressed chicken was a roast chicken with the Food and Drinkā€™s own hummus and tabouli and lashings (as Bunter would say) of fresh hot pitta bread.

Unfortunately tabouli is a dish that is open to many interpretations and I have never tasted one as good in a resto since.

2 Likes

Outside the Levant itā€™s rare for tabouleh to contain enough green stuff. I use a mix of flat leaf parsley and coriander in a 8:1 ratio. Add as much of the mix as you think is reasonable, then add about 3 times as much again!

6 Likes

Hummus = baby puk :nauseated_face::laughing:

Iā€™ll try that :slightly_smiling_face:

That was always my mistake: too little greenery.

Made hummus, falafel and taboulĆ© yesterday. My secret to hummus is a lot quicker and easier than yours - use a can so you have the aquafaba. Blending for 5 times longer that seems necessary not only deals with the skins but also gives it a very light creamy texture as it whips the aquafaba. Itā€™s something we do a lot for a quick meal, so not messing about with a pressure cooker even if I had one, which I donā€™t.

(We ate all the taboulƩ :slightly_smiling_face:)

6 Likes

I always add a lot of mint but canā€™t stand coriander so donā€™t use that.
Izzy x

1 Like

So interesting that there is a real adverse reaction by some people to coriander, They have a completely different taste experience. We have a friend who is the same - we, on the other hand, love it. Delighted to say just found a large clump of it growing in our very weedy veg patch.

4 Likes

Itā€™s a genetic thing. Current research suggests that there are two genes linked with the way the taste of coriander is interpreted.

5 Likes

I never knew that. Mrs P hates the stuff, whereas I like it.

Hereā€™s an article from Biomed Central giving some background n case youā€™d like to know more.

3 Likes

I can taste even the smallest amount in a dish. Vile stuff. Itā€™s got the taste of fragranced soap!
Izzy

2 Likes

Nonononono it tastes of heavenly deliciousness :wink:

7 Likes

Every time I see this in the forum I first read it as ā€˜smooth humansā€™ and have to read it again. :smile:

I spell it houmous, which may be why I misread it.

1 Like
1 Like

If I were served Hummus swimming in oil. Iā€™d send it back, itā€™s meant to have a drizzle of olive oil

And a light dusting of sumat.

Depends where you, and it, are from. Liban, Egypt or Greece. And where itā€™s served. Can have extra toasted chick peas, sumac, chilli oil - just about anything especially if you are called Ottolenghi. Itā€™s not a single origin dish/recipe,

2 Likes

And why is it meant to be so smooth?
Hummus is as old as the Ark if not older,
I wonder which brand of food processor they used then ā€¦ lol