Snakes in the pool

My daughter vacated our pool pretty quickly this afternoon after she saw a brown 'snake swimming towards her!
We caught it in a net and put it in the field only thinking later that we should have photographed it.
Probably a grass snake or slow worm in the Dordogne. Any thoughts please.

You can Google to your heartā€™s contentā€¦ loads of info and pictures

Here is a site in English

http://www.planetepassion.eu/SNAKES-IN-FRANCE/Snakes-of-France.html

1 Like

Young whip snake? Not dangerous to humans.

1 Like

Better safe than sorry, we have vipers that like to swim across our pond. Did it have a very triangular head? And round eyes or like oblong vertical slits?

My husband thinks itā€™s like the whip snake in your picture John Withall.

Donā€™t know if they are here in France, but in Portugal, there were ā€˜dodgeyā€™ fresh water snakes :roll_eyes:

Dodgey as in selling knock off goods :grinning:

Good to see youā€™re staying really ā€˜CHIPPERā€™ John, no as in Toxic Dodgey :roll_eyes:

Snakes on a plane is worse, terrible film :smirk:

Iā€™ll stay away from that then,
Thanks John :+1: :grin:

I donā€™t think it was a viper. The only markings were on itā€™s head. It swam very fast.

Hi,
You should find all you need to know about french snakes here;

http://www.planetepassion.eu/SNAKES-IN-FRANCE/Snakes-of-France.html

Note the similarity between the asp viper and the (harmless) viperine snake. In any case never be tempted to harm or kill any snake -they are all legally protected.

Hi Patrickā€¦ isnā€™t this the same link I posted a few days agoā€¦ :thinking::roll_eyes::relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

2 Likes

We put the snake in the farmerā€™s field. I wouldnā€™t think of killing it.

1 Like

Hi,
Sorry to repeat your link -to a very good site. I try to limit my computer time , so only visit briefly and donā€™t always follow threads right through ( especially those which sometimes wander off the point). Keep up the good work!

No Problem Patrickā€¦ I was wondering if you had meant to hit another link and got the one ā€œwe both didā€ by mistakeā€¦

:wink::wink::relaxed: