SNCF, senior discount rail card

(robert norton) #1

I have found on their website now much I can save on my rail journeys once we live in France but unless I'm stupid ( possible ) I cannot find on their site now much the card will actually cost me. Has anyone got one, any pros or cons?

(Peter Bird) #2

I considered it last year but quickly went off the idea when I saw the rail prices - it is sadly, still a lot cheaper to use the car in my particular circumstances though I enjoy rail travel. The pocket has to overrule the heart unfortunately...

(Brian Milne) #3

Up to €60! Oh no, less useful then. I would need to do six return trips to Bordeaux in a year for it to come out quits. In fact, paying for fuel, parking and tram tickets when I drive normally, still saves me money and can be quicker and more convenient given how few trains we have locally (to get anywhere).

(David GAY) #4

Yes John what you describe is a card which only discounts on the TER/bus in the PACA (Provence Alpes Cotes d'Azur). The main SNCF card for "seniors" is called Senior+ applies to all rail services including TGV throughout France and as Peter Bird says here costs 60euros.

(Brian Milne) #5

I do the same David. On my couple of trips the fact the website already 'knows' I am over 60 gives me a cheaper ticket anyway. For my couple of train journeys anywhere and bearing in mind what it is NOT valid for (take a proper look at the terms and conditions, I think they are available in English) it takes a fair bit of use to use up the €45, including taking people on your booking.

(Peter Bird) #6

The card is €60 unless it's changed recently. Pros & cons ? - depends on how much you propose to use it.

(John Scully) #7

I just had a look and it's the Carte Zou. I bought it a year ago for 30 euros and it lasts for a year. It gives me 50% discount and the same for up to three people travelling with me. So four in total. I use to get the train from Les Arcs to Nice airport and it paid for itself in a couple of trips.

(robert norton) #8

John, just to clarify is it the seniors discount card you can take four people with you?

(John Scully) #9

Yes but I you can take up to four people with you on the same fare so you can make back the investment pretty quickly.

(David GAY) #10

Unlesss you are going to do lots of journeys having a card seems poor value. If we want to do a trip into Bordeaux for example we simply ask for a "billet découverte seniors" as long as we travel during off peak "periode bleue" we get a good discount. Maybe we look very old but nobody at the guichet has asked to see proof of age.

(Katherine de Ruty) #11

you pay I think 45 euros for the card that is valid for one year. you need proof of age and you buy at your local SNCF station. then you receive a discount of up to 50 percent on any trip during the year of its validity. you dont need to be a french resident for it to be valid. you need to be over 60 with proof of that. its similar to the under 25 rail pass.