Solar Roof mount Vs ground mount

Hi,
I am thinking of installing Solar panels with selling the surplus to the electricity company (EDF).
My plan is to install on the ground rather than the roof, but I was told if I go for ground mount, I have to sell all what I generate not just the surplus, is this true?

Kind regards
Paul Kearsley

Hi Paulā€¦ who has told you this???

Hi Stella,
Thanks for you quick response, it was someone from ecopowereurope.
Paul

Was their advice anything to do with a quote for the workā€¦ ie are they hoping to get your business ??

Having just checked their siteā€¦

https://www.ecopowereurope.com/solar-pv.html

Looking at the various pdf they offer, I cannot see where they say ground panelsā€™ output must be sold direct to EDF. In fact it says it feeds directly to your supply. :upside_down_face: doesnā€™t it???

considering this is a company which deals with English speakersā€¦ you should be able to check their site and ā€œargueā€/discuss with themā€¦

Hi Stella,
I was in an initial discussion with them, and I was explaining I wanted a ground mount rather than roof mount, and I was told by their representative this fact. I did ask some additional information but didnā€™t get a reply :frowning: .
I have been researching different sites etc, and I came across this https://www.pv-magazine.com/features/archive/solar-incentives-and-fits/feed-in-tariffs-in-europe/#france#

I see the rate for ground mount is much lower than roof mount, I donā€™t understand why.
Paul

Look at the size estimate - 0-12MW - the assumption is clearly that ground mounted panels are part of a large commercial solar farm. Rooftop installations over 100kW attract the same rate.

True, it goes from Zero to 12MW, So I assume regardless of size, the rate is ā‚¬0.0612/kWh

Assumption is the mother of all Fā€¦ups. Never assume anything in life it might come back to chew your ass.

Our panels are on the ground as the roof isnā€™t suitable.
We were told before, during, and after installation that our surplus would go to the ā€˜gridā€™ and we would not be paid for it.
I have asked since, as well, but EdF refuse to pay us.

Ianā€¦ how many panels do you have on the ground ???

Hi, Stella. We have twelve panels.
The roof isnā€™t suitable because we have dormer windows which would shade any panels for too much of the day.

Ahā€¦ that is a lot of panelsā€¦

It makes sense to have enough panels to do a ā€œjobā€ ie heating swimming pool, hot water etc etcā€¦ canā€™t see the point in having too many panels thoughā€¦ Seems you have paid out more than you needed to. :zipper_mouth_face:

Not at all, Stella. They operate the house nicely (when the sun is shining), we heat the water during the day, washing machine, etc.
Even on a cloudy day, we purchase little electricity.

Bit of a con, though, all of this ā€œsell back the excessā€ gumph, if you are running a surplus, especially where you didnā€™t get much choice in the matter of where you put the panels ?

So when is there an excess ā€¦ that you give to EDF for free ??

Yup!
Which is why we wanted them on the roof, but three different surveyors said the ground was better!

We try to use all of our production - turning different appliances on or off, etc. - to keep our discharge to the grid to the minimum.
Weā€™d rather buy a little electricity than give any away.
Unfortunately, sometimes we have no alternative.

It just doesnā€™t make sense, where the panel are installed determines if you get paid or not.

I donā€™t understand this, are you saying you would prefer to pay for electricity rather than pay nothing for it and give away some you donā€™t use?
How extraordinary, but each to each.

Because of the amount we produce, our usage and experience we can juggle appliances to make the best use of our production. Turning on a high usage appliance (e.g. water heater or washing machine) will use the production that would otherwise ā€˜go to wasteā€™, draw in a smaller amount of electricity from the supplier than would be needed to run the appliance at night.
Therefore, spending a little during the day rather than a lot more at night.