Something to take your mind off all the doom and gloom

Not at all, Flanders and Swann made light of every political situation, to politically incorrect extremes but very funny.

It was the song you chose to parody. It hasn’t got that bad yet, has it? :smile: :laughing:

But didn’t Flanders and Swann exaggerate sometimes?
I know a Brexit song that doesn’t work:

‘The English, the English, the English are best…never mind NI being a pest…’

No exaggeration here I think -
“I have seen it estimated:
Somewhere between death and birth
There are now three thousand million
People living on this Earth
And the stock-piled mass destruction
Of the Nuclear Powers-That-Be
Equals – for each man or woman –Twenty tons of TNT.”

A bit of a departure from cute animals.
Flanders also appeared in a movie that made the case that disabled people were as entitled to enjoy a sex life as anyone else.

They were geniuses whether they were being serious or funny, they knew how to make life situations into songs that people could relate to.

2 Likes

From the bbc,

Lockdown is tough but it can sometimes bring unexpected benefits to people stuck at home. Two children in Vendôme, north-western France, were probably luckier than most: they discovered hidden treasure in their grandparents’ house.

In search of material to build a den, they asked their father what they could use.

“He advised them to take their grandmother’s sheets, in an unused room. But instead of finding sprigs of lavender between the sheets, as people used to do, two fairly heavy objects fell out,” auctioneer Philippe Rouillac told French TV channel BFM.

The kids put the objects back without another thought, but a few hours later told their father about the discovery. He asked them to go and get them, but initially thought they were knife holders.

Later, he contacted an auction house to get an estimate and was told he had found two gold bars weighing 1kg (2.2lb) each. Their worth? More than €50,000 (£45,000) per bar.

“The children said to their father: ‘We’re going to be able to have a swimming pool’,” the amused auctioneer recalled.

1 Like