Something to take your mind off all the doom and gloom

Spectacular demolition at German nuclear site

1 Like

One day we will regret having destroyed those elegant cooling towers. Like ancient windmills, we will only appreciate their beauty when most of them are gone.

2 Likes

@Mike_Kearney re Cooling Towers

What a cool observation on architectural history and posterity! :+1::sunglasses:

1 Like

I agree with you. They’re majestic. I always liked to see Drax, Fiddlers Ferry and Ratcliffe.

However: “More than two-thirds of people in the UK believe, wrongly, that smoke or harmful emissions emerge from cooling towers, feeding carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and accelerating climate change, while only one person in 100 has a good understanding of what the towers are really used for”, according to a Royal Society of Chemistry survey.

4 Likes

Very true, and perpetuated by the media who never fail to illustrate global warming emissions with a clip of a cooling tower billowing steam into a blue sky :joy:

3 Likes

Ahh jeez, they were great reference points when flying into Speyer

1 Like

Can you see inside them from your cockpit? I always imagine there’s a huge suet pudding in a pudding cloth down there. :yum:

1 Like

Peter, they stick out like a sore thumb on the horizon. Aircraft are not allowed to fly within a 5 mile radius of any power station nuclear or otherwise.

1 Like

Actually there is almost nothing in them, rings of cold water pipes cooling the hot air.

1 Like

My dreams of unlimited gooey pud are shattered shattered, shattered! What can I do now? :scream:

1 Like

Dumplings with masses of gravy. Yum yum

1 Like

So does the heat transferred from air to water serve any useful purpose? Or is it the other way round and it is actually air that cools the water?

As far as i know, they cascade water through and around the hot air which in turn cause the masses of steam often seen coming out of the top.

They are used to cool and recycle power station cooling/steam generating water using ambient air passively drawn in through the bottom, some steam comes out the top but most water is condensed and re-used

1 Like

This is working like a charm in taking my mind off doom and gloom. Suet pud and gravy! Heaven, I’m in Heaven :musical_note::notes::notes::musical_note::notes::notes::innocent::stuck_out_tongue:

So the heat is going into the air, but the writer of the article seems to think that it causes less global warming than me leaving my TV on standby. I wonder if anyone could explain that in a way this old fool can understand?

Thermodynamics…:thinking::thinking::thinking:

1 Like

All my knowledge of thermodynamics comes from Flanders and Swann.

“All the heat in the universe
gonna cool down, 'cos it can’t increase
and there’ll be no more work
and there’ll be perfect peace.”

1 Like

Flanders and Swann kareoke night!
I wonder what their songs about Brexit and the virus would be?
Competition time, lets see who can do the most Flanders and Swann song about these things.

Everyone in every nation , 20 tonnes of covid-v…
etc.

1 Like

Think you could be getting back into Doom and Gloom there! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: