Sometimes I wonder about advertising algorithms

Oh the irony.

2 Likes

Just like dog dirt - difficult to stay clear of.

I’ve noticed that the adverts generally seem to be related to the content of the posts, but not always. When not related to content, I used to get lots of adverts for women’s underwear.
Now it seems to be mostly those stupid ads that claim to save you 90% on your electricity bill. The latest shows someone with two fingers embedded in some gizmo which is then to be plugged into a mains socket. Do people really click on this :poop: ?

:poop: indeed. :laughing:

I also get a lot of pop-up ads for women’s underwear and dating sites, and speaking as a 51year old single, transvestite I’m discussed by these adverts :joy:

As a 51 YO transvestite it’s hardly surprising the adverts are talking about you, not least because they can’t understand your request for a girl Friday when you’re a perfectly good woman yourself. :wink:

1 Like

I’m confused.

From 10pm onwards on my phone, especially Friday and Saturday nights, everything that is advertised seems to be advertised witb a scantily clad female in the ad. Even where it’s hard to see the connection between what the product is and a scantily clad woman.

Should I give up and allow Google to target me ads?

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy: That made me chuckle :+1:

I feel cheated - all I seem to get on the phone is a suggestion to electrocute myself, Nigel Farage or suggestions for pension advice - not a semi-naked woman in sight. Is this discrimination against the over 60s?

FWIW on the computer I use Brave, and there’s nary an advert to be seen.

I’m turning my ad blocker off

3 Likes

Yes, I use an ad blocker as well, but for certain sites, Survive France being one of a very few, I enable ads. After all, this is how the site makes the money it needs to survive.

You can always use the “tip jar”

2 Likes

Am I the only person that’s getting a picture of Nigel Farrage at the top of almost every page for about the last week ? I thought the women’s underwear ads were quite appealing, but Farrage doesn’t really cut it for me :face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:
Edit: Very similar add to the one @Ancient_Mariner reported at the start of the thread.

After break of s couple of months, Niggle is back for me too.

You poor blokes!

2 Likes

This ad is on the SFN page for me. Honestly!!! :thinking:
Izzy x

Give it a click : Farage has to pay up and SF get their commission. It’s a win-win!

They sound like something to make a chap very hopeful, but I suspect would lead to disappointment. :thinking::smile:

1 Like

Didn’t want to create a new thread, so put it here, if that’s OK, about algorithms in general…

Hannah Fry authored ‘Hello World: How to be Human in the Age of the Machine’, covering Power, Data, Medicine, Cars & Humans - 5 audio episodes each 14 minutes long. Or an omnibus version of all episodes, 70 minutes long. BBC Sounds 2018. Available to listen to over the next 3 weeks.

Worth listening to in my opinion for those of us who like to hear such stuff in simple explanatory language. There’s a book from which these episodes were taken.

I heard episode 2 in bed early this morning and it grabbed my attention.

Episode 2 – Data Hello World: How to be Human in the Age of the Machine by Hannah Fry - Hello World: How to be Human in the Age of the Machine - 2: Data - BBC Sounds

1 Like