Souviens-Toi

On 10 June 1944, a German SS battalion entered the French village of Oradour sur Glane and mercilessly murdered 642 men, women and children. Even my simple statement resonates the horror in that single fact.

We visited the site of the massacre today. It remains very much as it was when visited by General de Gaulle shortly after the end of the War. He it was, who decided that a new Oradour should be built; the ruins to be preserved separately as a testament and memorial to his fallen countrymen. Not one building remains intact in this roughly, star-shaped village, whose main street runs for around half a mile. It is a very popular tourist site. My belligerent tongue will not allow me to say "tourist attraction" which seems, at the very least, sacrilegious.

This dismembered village is set amid rich agricultural land. The area is rural France in all her glory. It was enough to tempt the Limogeoise to take the tram out on a Sunday. They ate in the restaurants, hotels and cafes. They strolled in their shirts. They tickled trout in the river. The tram line to Limoges didn't just bring customers. It brought drapery and fashion. It brought Hollywood and Harold Lloyd. These, in turn, drew hairdressers and haberdashers and a quiet, rural gentility.

But I use the term village as an easy reference only. There is no village. There are no remains of a village. Even the plates on the shattered portals, which tell of the trade of the occupants, fail to convince the visitor of its existence. The one thing that made it a village no longer exists. There is no community. The site is a sandy-grey backdrop from which the colour of life has been drained entire. The only colour is brought in each day through an admissions gate, and disappears before the sun sets each evening.

People have told us that the site is quiet and empty, and has an air of tranquility. Not for me. Oradour is full of the soundless cries of over six hundred souls. The air is febrile and disturbed. The signs which urge the visitor "To Remember" are unnecessary. The skeletal buildings whisper "remember, remember" at every empty door or window embrasure.

Its now one in the morning. The effects of the visit are both pervasive and reflective. I have come to realise that the cameo pictures on the tombs of the martyrs, show young women with the same hairstyles and fashions, as on the photos of my mother. My Dad's old photos the same, and dare I say it? Even of me. Not so surprising when you consider these events happened a scant seven years before my birth. The realisation is harrowing.

I don't want to tell the tale of the massacre. That is for those unquiet ruins to do. I simply want to write away my demons. I'd ask you to consider that neither Oradour; nor the thousand other communities in the Limousin, had ever been eradicated throughout two Millenia. Despite the incursions of the Romans, Goths, Turks, Normans. Yet sixty-six years ago that was the unexpected and irrational fate of Oradour.

I meet German men and women on the ski slopes or touring Europe and Scotland. It is both conceivable and possible that their father, uncle or Grandfather took the hand of a six year old French girl and lead her to her death in a locked church. Other than great leaps in Technology and science, what have we learned in two thousand years?

Robert Hébras, dernier témoin du massacre d’Oradour-sur-Glane, est mort

I visited first in 1991 and again a couple of years ago. The “new” Centre de la Mémoire is excellent.

A visit certainly does bring home the horrors of war and the inhumanity of man. That a SS panzer division, who would have seen themselves as the cream of the Nazi army, could slaughter civilians, not as collateral damage but expressly should warn us of what we may learn in the future of the current actions of the criminals in the Wagner Group.

We can only hope the crimes will not go unpunished.

Rest in peace, Robert. I can’t begin to imagine how traumatised he must have been by what he experienced.

1 Like

It’s somewhere I’ve wanted to visit for many years now. I have no excuse for not having done so already as we regularly visit my partner’s family in Limoges. This thread has inspired me to finally do it this year.

1 Like

Likewise - it’s a 4 hour drive from Brittany though so we need to find a full day for it.

There were very few officers, and many were non-German conscripted soldiers. Sadly the one person convicted never got to serve any sentence as was never extradited to France. And the other had the court case thrown out of lack of direct evidence (which was no opposed by France I believe in the spirt of reconciliation)

There’s not much to do around there but Limoges is pleasant enough, and you can pick up some bargain porcelain from places like Bernardaud.

I can also recommend a couple of good restaurants if eating out in Limoges - L’Aparte and La Cuisine du Cloître

L’Aparte is great but when I went to la Cuisine do Cloître it was very lacklustre. Slow service, poor attention to detail, mediocre food…

Oh, that’s a shame. Was it recent that you went? I’ve only been once but was keen to return. We went for my father-in-law’s 70th birthday in February '20 (one month before Covid struck!) and were impressed. Sorry to hear it wasn’t good for you.

It was Autumn 22…

Ouch, more recent than me then. Was hoping you were gonna say it was 5 years ago :grin: Maybe I’ll not go back then.

We first visited in the 70’s and again in the 90’s. Unfortunately this was repeated time and time again by the Nazis particularly in Belgium and France. The Germans also did the same in Belgium in the First World War.
Now Putin is the modern leader of this inhuman behaviour.

2 Likes

Oradour sur Glane - 10 June 1944

The town still stands

amid fields of wild flowers.

Its final hours long since fled,

its streets bled dry and lifeless.

Excited children heard the arrival.

A carnival of foreign noise.

Girls and boys alike, thought a motorbike

the World War Two equivalent of cool.

German troops take young French children by the hand.

A raid well-planned, a massacre of innocents.

The War prevents the World’s indignation,

and Christ is crucified again in Oradour.

A pure, golden sun rises over the little town

but going down it begs the fevered souls be still.

The town yet stands

but all its flowers lie dead

1 Like

They could have been having a bad day when I last visited - we all do from time to time!

Yes I have mixed feelings about this. Everyone knows about Orandour-s/g but not necessarily about Marsoulas a few days before or Maillé a few days after - let alone the other ones. To me it was right to conserve Orandour, and I accept that one has to move on so can’t keep all the relics. However I do wonder how many people visiting Orandour realise how many other atrocities there were?

1 Like

The lower level of the reception centre used to always be used to portray other crimes against humanity. I think they saw it as an ongoing purpose of Oradour. Also, I imagine the scale of the massacre puts it in a category of its own.

I heard on the radio that the last survivor of Oradour has just died.

Already mentioned, Souviens-Toi - #2 by JaneJones
But good to have a reminder

1 Like