Soya Mince or equivalent

I am trying to loose weight using the slimming World style of eating, which is going Ok .However I need to source a soya mince or Quorn meat substitute here in SW France. i found tofu today!!

The theory as far as I understand it with Slimming World is to cut fat right down and it has green & red/ original days. The green days are basically vegetarian days which allow for some carbohydrates such as pasta and often use quorn or soya protein in the reciepies.

Tomorrow for example I am planning a moussaka which is sin free if done with quorn mince. Where can I find some? any help appreciated.

Thats why I want soya mice to get past DH's nose!!

Today's version I have made with lean mince. I don't grill the aubergine I dry fry in a very good non stick pan. Fromage frais & eggs are really good for the topping I add salt & pepper and a small sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese

Thank you! Will give Mr H the good news that he is about to get a meat free moussaka for dinner…

This is the slimming world version.

Link here

http://www.slimmingworld.com/recipes/quorn-moussaka.aspx

information

Serves: 4
Prep time:
Cook time:
Syns per serving:

ingredients

1 large aubergine, cut into 1 cm thick slices
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
350g pack Quorn Mince
2 tbsp tomato puree
397g/14oz can chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
2 eggs, beaten
522g/1lb 2oz fat free natural yogurt
salt & ground black pepper
Fry Light, for spraying

method

1. Place the aubergine slices onto a clean paper towel and sprinkle with salt. Leave for 20 minutes then rinse with cold water and dry.

2. Meanwhile, dry fry the onion, garlic and Quorn Mince in a large heavy based saucepan. Add the tomato puree, canned tomatoes and parsley and simmer for approximately 30 minutes until tender. Transfer the mixture into an ovenproof dish.

3. Beat the eggs and yogurt together in a bowl and season to taste.

4. Place the aubergine slices on a grill pan and spray with Fry Light. Place under a preheated hot grill for 4-5 minutes each side. Arrange the aubergine on top of the Quorn mixture and pour the yogurt and egg mixtire over. Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C/Gas 4 for 20-30 minutes until golden brown.

I have also found some good recipes here

http://www.droylsden.net/docs/143_Recipes.htm

Any chance of the moussaka recipe please?

Good luck.

The moussaka with the lentils was really delicious, it is going to be a "standard" in our house. It will be one of the recipes I will use to offset the cost of the meat in other dishes.

I had considered that but I wanted to make moussaka as someone is coming round for lunch, the alternative at the moment is to use lean mince if I can and pour off any excess fat that appears.

I made a really good curry last night .I used lean meat and puréed chick peas as the thickener. I did miss the coconut milk tho' Sniff. I really wanted the soya mince /quorn so that I can cook one meal for all I hate the fact of cooking differently for me plus if everyone is on the low fat version it will do my husband good without too much complaining. It will also help in another way as No1 son's new girlfriend is a "nearly "vegetarian, she eats fish & steak only likes a few veg and eats like a mouse!!

The green days on slimming world allow some carbs in , usually some rice , pasta or a baked potato, so I would love to find quorn here for the green veggie days. I can see me trying to get some from the Uk at this rate. I wouldn't mind finding some old style TVP treated vegetable protein at least that will store untill re-hydrated.

I made a moussaka the other day using lentils instead of meat and just grilled the aubergines on a very hot grill without any oil. It was delicious.