Spare car key

I’m assuming (and this is probably my downfall already) that I can go into a Peugeot dealership and get a copy of the car key? It’s falling apart and has begun to act erratically so need another one just in case. We don’t have a spare of any kind. Anyone done this?

Better locksmiths can often do this for less if you still have a working key they can clone.

Stupid question…but it’s not just the battery?

1 Like

Should be possible, but probably won’t be cheap. I got a copy of my range rover key done at a Timpsons in the uk a couple of years ago. Landrover wanted £400+, they did it for £160.

Worth considering but David did say “It’s falling apart”.

As Mark says, not likely to be cheap if bought from the main dealer - but they should be able to supply a key based on the VIN, an independent locksmith will need to clone the existing key the sucess of which might vary depending how eratic it’s being.

No, not the battery, I’ve replaced that. The whole thing is gradually falling into bits (doesn’t central lock any more etc).

It’s starting to sound like you will need to get a new one from the dealer.

Or looking on Amazon etc for transponder and swapping the key blade over if that is the type you have. Locksmiths can clone off the original.

I hope you are successful, but have to say I couln’t even get a Peugeot handbook out of a dealer.

Car handbooks are often online these days - even some old ones. Haynes have a lot, or the official manufacturer’s handbook - google usually can find

My partner just got a spare key for his Peugeot since we lost the other one (of course it turned up the day after we got the new one). Our local village garage we usually get our cars from got it for us so you don’t need a dealer as such. It wasn’t cheap though - around 160 euros and that was for the one without the buttons on to lock/unlock etc - just the key itself.

I think the full works for a key with all the extra electronics was a good few hundred euros.

Really? That’s good to know, thank you.

1 Like

Peugeot :roll_eyes: The pcb of one of my keys went duff. It was tested by Peugeot and deemed u.s. A replacement for this 10mm x 5mm p.c.b. was enormous. Three hundred and something €. Of course, only Peugeot can supply the pcb. The key still operates everything.

The other key, which still zapps the doors, fell apart. Because it’s the key which still zapps it gets all the use. The twisting of the key in the ignition destroyed the snap-shut of the case. That’s now bound tight with tape.

People sell second hand keys/transponders/ door unlockers. Them you get them re coded by a auto locksmith.

“Be kind to your keys” seems to be the moral of the story here…

I’m grateful that both my car and motorbike came with a second key so I do have a backup already.

Its my mantra when buying, no 2nd key, dont buy it as the owner doesnt care about his vehicle.

1 Like

Or they’re going to nick it back :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Hi David,
If by ‘falling apart’ you mean the buttons have disintegrated, I had the same problem recently.
I’ve recently bought a second-hand car privately and the previous owner, being an honest man, pointed out that the remote key did not work. The buttons had disintegrated and it was necessary to use the key itself to lock/unlock the doors.
I was quoted anywhere from £40 to repair to (I think) £160 to replace the key/fob.
I found a chap on E-Bay who sold me a set of replacement buttons and I was very pleased that I was able to do the repair myself. I just needed to ease out the old broken buttons with the tip of a very sharp Swiss Army knife and push the new buttons into place. Cost? £3.99 including postage.

1 Like

depending on which vehicle it is, lot of these ‘smart’ key are unique and rather than program the key they program the car to accept the individual keys. I know this because rather than pay stupid money for a replacement Jag key I hired the programmer and did it myself which saved me about 600€. I now have 3 keys