Speed Camera Controls in France

Just driven to Nimes and back 480km each way. Several bridges across the (A62) autoroute carry a ‘130’ sign in red. For cars that exceed 130 the next bridge then displays the number plate of the offender’s car and ‘TROP VITE’.

Dunno if that leads to a fine.

2 Likes

Many sections are now timed and you get done based on the average speed, points and all !

Le radar vitesse moyenne -également appelé radar tronçon- calcule la vitesse moyenne réalisée sur une portion de route afin d’inciter les usagers à adopter une conduite responsable tout au long de leur trajet.

Le lieu de l’infraction est le point de contrôle de sortie. Au point d’entrée du tronçon, une caméra vidéo -associée à un lecteur automatique de plaque- prend un cliché de chaque véhicule et relève sa plaque et son heure de passage. Au point de sortie, une unité de traitement calcule la vitesse moyenne pratiquée sur la section par chaque véhicule sur la base de ces informations.

this is the article from auto-moto.com that lists the rollout departements for the trap cars…unfortunately quite a few here in those departements.

As private operators they will surely be earning commission. So we should be careful. London parking was a nightmare when they brought in “pay for productivity” to those tcketing parking offences. Lots of lies (eg misstating timings) due to the earnings incentive.

At least the Bathampton camera is yellow. France is not going to have trap cars circulating on the roads painted yellow.

The market town near me seems to have finally given up having a speed camera on the main approach road from my direction. We are a hive of gilet jaune activity, thankfully. Errr I mean, apparently :slight_smile:

1 Like

The article I read suggests not as the driver will have no interaction/influence over the recording of infringements. He/she will be paid their normal remuneration and will have no idea or knowledge of what has gone on during the “drive”.

Someone must be really hard up if they think that this is an acceptable way to earn a living.

Despite having been caught several times in various traps, I am a keen advocate of speed cameras. Apart from those where speed limit signs are deliberately allowed to be obscured or the rapidly changing limits in some areas that is.
What I am not in favour of is the plethora of local ‘calming’ measures such as speed bumps and chicanes.
Driving through the next village this morning there were no less than 6 temporary chicanes, no doubt awaiting permanent status, and in our own village a few years ago where there is a massive speed bump 20 metres long outside the local school.
When they built it they allowed the school bus to park on it, totally obscuring from view those youngsters making a dash for the parents’ cars in the newly constructed parking on the other side.
They could have killed 2 birds with one stone, safety and speed, by keeping bus, cars and pupils in one designated space and re-routing the road around it, keeping the 50 limit instead of the new 30.
I am sick and tired of being branded an enemy of the planet with my diesel car while all the time stop/start, slow/quick road technology runs riot with increased emissions.
I also keep it a close secret from my service garage that the stop/start feature of my Partner ceased working long ago without all the usual adverse side effects of other electronic gismos such as ABS, cruise control and anti-skid which all seem to be chattering away to each other. :wink:

needs must when the devil drives Jane…

I had this happen to us near Nîmes- not reading the words just seeing our number plate - i don’t think it was a welcome to the region! (did not get a ticket)

I’m driving for the first time in France. It’s several decades since I’ve had a speeding (or any)ticket in the UK but I feel very vulnerable here despite trying hard to watch out for speed limit changes. It’s easy to be distracted by the satnav when I’ve no idea where I am or where I’m going! I suppose the first I’ll know is letters waiting for me back in the UK. It does irk me when I’m witnessing shocking driving by French drivers on a regular basis. Today I’ve seen a driver overtaking near the brow of a hill. Then a motorscooter rider doing about 50mph on a wet main inner city road in Cahors- numerous people hanging on my bumper and I’m no slouch behind the wheel. I hate this habit of trying to push you to go faster or following a couple of metres behind waiting for an overtaking opportunity usually resulting in the same thing for the next vehicle 200m ahead.

Fret not Michael, it’s nothing personal and only a style of driving to come up close behind. Just think of it that they are sitting in your slipstream. :slight_smile:

Do you have speed control in your car? I use it all the time, especially for 50km and 80km speed limits because they are so slow for many road conditions, especially in rural areas where traffic is light and it’s so easy to let one’s speed creep up. I can then relax and let the car behind worry about whether they are sticking to the speed limit.

Also, it’s true there are roving speed traps, but on the whole speed cameras are very well sign-posted with warning signs as you approach.

Just watch the exit roads off motorways, a favorite haunt it seems as driving at 110-130kph for hours its easy to transition from roads at higher speed and thats where if anywhere friends have been caught.

It might only be a style of driving in your opinion Sue, but it is highly dangerous. If someone is so close to you that there is not a safe braking distance should you need to make an emergency stop, you could find yourself in trouble from both in front and behind.

2 Likes

Yes, fortunately I do have cruise control and have been using it much of the time. The authorities really need to stamp down on tailgating. I think I read they were introducing some roadside tech for this.

1 Like

That is France’s problem. No thinking time and no avoidance room

Tailgating is, in my opinion, a stupid and dangerous thing to do. However, if you’re driving the car in front, you aren’t entirely powerless. There are at least 3 actions you can take to improve safety.

• Create a safe space in front of you, by staying 4 seconds - or ideally much more - behind the car in front. That means you can react gently to any sudden speed variation of the car in front, dramatically reducing the chance of emergency braking
  • When you reach a safe passing place, slow down and let the impatient one pass. Repeat as required. (I’ll admit that when I try this I’m amazed at how many simply won’t pass, even after I have slowed gently to 45 in an 80 zone.)
  • Slow down! An accident at 60 will create far less damage than one at 80. (A car traveling at 56 has half the energy of one traveling at 80)
3 Likes

Good in theory, however my experience is that the maniac behind will view that as a space that must be filled by his/her vehicle (even if they have to cut you up, squeeze you, etc etc).

1 Like

Sadly… this is what often happens… but I just slow down to maintain that all important “gap”

1 Like

I always increase the (already generous) gap; especially if a big truck is on my tail. I see that white van drivers here have the same IQ as back home.
Had a pleasant drive back from Cahors last evening, driving at dusk through a protected area with mist on the fields.
We were on the very quiet twisty D911. It was very nice to see some deer - not on the road fortunately. I’m getting used to the automatic headlights. They seem to do a good job at dipping when required to do so.

There is a fourth - just pull over and let them pass if it is a severe case.