Speeding fine reform - 08/12/2023

All seems very complicated, I am going to stick ro the speed limit from now on, honest gov :innocent:

1 Like

Once got a fine and points for doing 51 kmh in a 50 kmh zone in St Etienne.

1 Like

You would have been doing 56 with the 5kph tolerance so your fine would have said 51.

2 Likes

So is this the same reform that Stella mentioned, where she was given a bumpy ride when she disagreed with the idea that it was a rich man’s speeding charter??

1 Like

That is why fines should be linked to % of income or turnover if you are really minted.

Yes but the decree was only signed off 08/12/2024 and put into law.

1 Like

Spouse recently lost 1 point for each of two offences near St Julien en Genevois, on each occasion in a 50kph area, each time for going over the limit by 1 km/h.

In which case your spouse would actually have been recorded driving at 56kph.

2 Likes

As Brian has said your husband would have been recorded at 56km/h as there is a 5km/h tolerance.

I assume he has a French licence, if not then he has to change if a resident.

Hi All, I’m new to the site so forgive me if I’ve posted in the wrong area. I got flashed by a camera on the 29th December 23 (probably doing 95 in a 80 kmh). We currently abide by the 90/180 rule as we retired late 2022 and due to parents ill health we never got around to applying for long stay visa/residency as we were constantly going back to the UK. We’ve had a house in France since 2006 and purchased a car from a large main dealership in December 2022. I’ve just noticed the the Carte Gris has our French address and I believe it should be our principle residence which is in the UK. The dealership completed all the paperwork for the car and the subject of where the car should be registered never came up, from memory I had to supply my driving licence (UK address), proof of insurance (FR address) and french utility bill (FR address). Due to ignorance I didn’t know the carte gris address had to be where the owner was domiciled. Obviously I dont want to get in trouble but if someone could suggest what I should do. I guess some paperwork for the speeding fine will go to the french address and I guess they will assume I should have a french licence. How long does it take for the fine to come through? I did find a site called Guichet Carte Grise where it looks like I can change the address, and I’ve found a site that says do it through ANTS. Any advice would be welcome, I’m so confused! Rhanks

You can’t have a uk address for a french registered car, same as you cant have a french one for a uk registered car. You will likely get a fine (amende) in the post to your french address which you should pay pronto otherwise it increases.

First, you will not be able to change the CG address to a UK one. It is fine as it is.

Second, the fine papers usually arrive within a week. You will be allowed to pay immediately and have the 90€ reduced to 45.

Re the licence, do not worry about it, as it is legal again to use yours.

Wait for them to contact you if they want to deduct a point. I am on a Jersey licence and after ten years must have dozens of points by now, but I still wait for the chaps in blue to knock on the door…

If you’re living in France then you’re obliged to change your licence if you’ve committed an offence that results in a points deduction. Not having had a knock at the door doesn’t remove that obligation. As with all of these things you can get away with it until the day someone takes an interest for whatever reason and then you don’t.

Yes, I am in the wrong. Not he. He is not resident here.

For the couple I recently received they took 6 weeks to arrive (2 on the same day!)

If you are on a Jersey licence and have been a resident for 10 years you legally had 12 months to exchange your licence from arrival in France, so until the new UK agreement came into force June 2021 you have been driving illegally here.

Surprisingly points do rack and there is every chance they will still sit against your name even though they may be spent. Should you get controlled that is when the boys in blue will come knocking. Up till now you have been very lucky.

It is a legal requirement to exchange your licence if you are a resident, if you like I can give you the legislation proving this. Also it’s noted on the Service-Public site.

If you’re not a resident then you pay the fine, but be aware these stay on record. So depending on how many were noted on the fine will depend on how long they stay live.

The fine will arrive at the address your car is registered to, so if you’re not there very often you need someone to check your post box otherwise the cost increases.

Yes, yes, yes, I already said I am in the wrong. Read the thread before labouring on the point.

I don’t need the legislation but do you know what date the law changed?
I know when I came here to live in September 1999 the law was quite clear that there was no need to change a UK licence. So I protested when I was told by my new boss that the sub-prefecture had told him I had to change it, but only because of the HGV entitlements on it. This was confirmed the next day when I did a swap over the counter.

I then advised my wife to change her car one, but only in order to avoid its cancellation when she got to 70. This rule got me into some bother with the law in England once because the sub-prefecture had not sent my UK licence back to Swansea, as they were supposed to do and as a result the police computer alleged I wasn’t allowed to drive in England. :astonished:

Hi David, legal requirement to change your licence if you got points, lost/stolen or new category added, that has never changed, but the legislation is initially dated 01/01/2001 for points and confiscations etc.

Article R222-2 - Highway Code - Légifrance (legifrance.gouv.fr)