SSIAD Bans dogs during visits

Our dog doesn’t sniff the stuff in bakeries - just looks bored and in truth would probably prefer to be outside. OTOH small children in shops might be better in the care of their parents, though I wouldn’t be averse to popping a few out of the way on a very high shelf.

From my experience of toddlers this seems extremely likely, and quite possibly true for their parents too.

7 Likes

No, just egalité. One rule for all. (And our dog is not a border)

Well, larger dogs, much like unfettered small children , can be problematic in all sort of public spaces commercial spaces, let alone plane cabins and most restos.

Sorry, just going off the photos, but as a flag eating dog used to be your avatar, I’m sure lots on SF would like to know what’ve you actually got…

Dogs in food shops have always been out of order in France in my experience but always accepted in restaurants.

Once when I was broken down far from home when delivering a Dobermann, I took her for a walk in the morning while the vehicle was repaired. Searching for breakfast I poked my nose in through the door of a boulangerie to order from a distance. The nice lady behind the counter pointed helpfully to the row of large hooks on the outside of the shop front to attach leads to.

So I attached the lead to a hook and we both went in. :joy:

Not really, she waited calmly outside. :rofl:

3 Likes

C

Front right, berger australien, a carefully bred dog from Crufts champions.

(Not that we ever capitalised in that as did not market him. Just after many delightful but mad rescue dogs we wanted something that we knew the upbringing)

8 Likes

Hmmm I think on the actual dog-in-food-shop thing Jane and Kirstea are unfortunately right. Fairly sure it’s a food regulations thing too. Though I agree about the toddlers.

Excellent French attitude from your wife though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Also parents putting their children wearing tgeir dirty shoes into trollies.

2 Likes

Coincidentally, OH has a nasty infected cat scratch on her right wrist. Started two weeks of antibiotics on Wednesday. Just a tiny pinprick has turned into a nasty red rash larger than a €2 coin. Doctor says if it doesn’t get better, and it may not, she’ll have to have a swab taken and may have to have different antibiotics administered in hospital :scream:

1 Like

Re: berger australien

I was wholly ignorant of this breed until starting to notice more and more around Figeac a few years back, possibly because there’s a breeder nearby. Was particularly struck by the variety and richness of their colours.

Unfortunately agree about the unpredictability of refuge dogs v one whose history you know and that has been well-trained from puppyhood and not had a possibly traumatic past,

We have a couple of rescue dogs in our hiking group, neither pairs of owners can’t control them and don’t seem unduly concerned about letting them run loose, despite one having attacked a member of another hiking group, and the other went into the refuge after killing a kitten. The owners are very nice, well-educated people but IMO are far too relaxed about their dogs’ unpredictability.

Cats have extremely dirty teeth.
Their bites are very dangerous.

I don’t think any animal doesn’t have dirty teeth or the chance of going septic.

My doodles have their teeth brushed daily!

Speaking of dogs in shops… Our village Tabac, where I make a daily Loto purchase, has large open bins of sweets and chocolates for individual selection. Some of these are quite low level. I have at times seen children picking out and replacing random gummies, and more than once a doggy sneaking a quick lick. Presumably, customers develop immunities FOC.

That’s the principle behind behind the covid injections, isn’t it, always thinking of the customers. :wink: :laughing:
I have yet to meet a dog lover who objected to the occasional, or frequent, lick by their pets. I know I don’t.
I don’t brush the teeth of my dogs, but I do give them a crispy pain grille, or crusty end of nutty loaf, after every meal, never had a tooth problem. :smiley:

1 Like

We do! We know what he scavenges when out of site…buerk!

1 Like

Our Gigi too!

The other artisan boulanger in Figeac is very welcoming to our little, very well-behaved caniche.

Oooh la-la (la-la, la-la) c’est trés mignonne !