SSIAD Bans dogs during visits

I was warned yesterday by one of the aides soignantes that I would soon be notified by the ‘direction’ that all dogs must be locked in a single room while aides are on the premises. Apparently one aide was bitten by a dog recently.

While they were at pains to explain that it wasn’t personal and they weren’t particularly happy about it, they will be forced, on pain of disciplinary action, to obey. Then the 2 others who came this morning said the same.

This is a problem for us. There is only one ‘safe’ room in our house and that is my bedroom. I am not having mucky paws locked in there, even for 15 minutes or so. There are 2 other alternatives. One that I lock him in the cage in the car but that would be cruel, he jumps in there with enthusiasm because he knows that means a walk or at the least a ride out with me, we are never separated normally.

The last is probably the best from our point of view, but would not strictly speaking be in accordance with the rule. That is, once they are in the house, I leave him outside and shut the daytime ever open back door
which is, effectively, his dog flap. But that would mean them crossing from gate to house with him in attendance, and he would be, he loves everyone and howls with delight when they arrive and pitifully when they leave.

They would also have to discipline themselves. Most of them ring the gate bell and then enter without waiting for me, I wonder if that will continue. Marie-Neige, who was here this morning, says she thought all her colleagues will think the same way. But will they risk the wrath of the ‘direction’? :thinking:

One glimmer of hope though, recently they were all required to wear masks again, but then, because they suspected that it might be a cause of Fran’s recent aggression they relaxed the rule ‘just for us’, and now masks are pulled down at the gate. :joy: I wonder :thinking:.

I did mention this morning that the most dangerous being in this house was Fran, not Jules. It raised a laugh but only because it was all in French and Fran wouldn’t understand, she is used to us chattering and laughing when here.

2 Likes

This is standard, and I’m surprised wasn’t mentioned before. When we needed a temporary person this was made clear on first visit - as she stooped to scritch our dog. Who stayed glued to her at every subsequent visit and locking him elsewhere was never mentioned again.

If none of the aides are apprehensive then will probably be soon forgotten.

But if not can you keep him on a lead until they arrive, and then leave him outside. And the same when they leave? If you show willing then perhaps no-one will want to go further.

If you mean tied to a post, or walking around with him for an hour or so (their hours are very flexible and unpredictable), then no. That too would be cruel and I am much too busy. If we have to do without them, so be it.

Which would end up with you killing yourself with all the work and wouldn’t help your dogs or Fran in the long run :frowning:

4 Likes

When we have visitors who are afraid of dogs I keep ours on a short lead beside me and carry on doing what I am doing.

Baby gate? My daughter uses two to keep her two dogs apart from the cat and not to go upstairs. Maybe use it for a room you don’t use or need whilst the aides are visiting. Usually lots of LBC and of course your dog can still see everything as well

3 Likes

You took the words out of my mouth Shiba! It could be the kindest and most effective solution.

Maybe just not a wooden one

4 Likes

It has occurred to me but we don’t have a spare room only the bedroom mentioned above. There is a veranda at the rear, where his ‘dogflap’ is but no door between that and the kitchen, just a curtain. If the measurements were suitable, it is not a standard size, I suppose that could work. But I’ll wait to see if they insist or make an exception as they did over the masks before going to the expense.

@JaneJones Non of these visitors are afraid of dogs, quite the opposite, they all love him and even play with him. This ban, if it happens, is purely because one person got bitten by one dog somewhere else. For the only person we know who is terrified of all dogs we did put him in the car at her one and only brief visit (she is from the pharmacy) but then he had the little Lab for company too.

Edit: The latest 2 ‘girls’ have just arrived and poo-poohed my ideas saying that they will not see a dog or say anything about a dog because they know him and think it’s foolish. However I will investigate the alternatives because I would not like them to get into trouble.

3 Likes

This is a typical authoritarian attitude to a problem where one person has been affected.
Why not ask all the medical visitors if they have a problem with a particular dog and deal with that?
Answer, that is common sense and authority does not understand that.

1 Like

Or just an employer with hundreds of employees and needing to make sure they are not exposed to harm and without the resources to individually check each house.

4 Likes

Also the employer is responsible for the health and safety for employees and in cases of serious injury or death can be sent to prison.
It looks like the employers are covering themselves.

4 Likes

But their employees check each house.
If their is a problem they should say so, not lump the innocent in with the guilty.
This is far too prevalent in today’s society and is an indication of a dictatorial attitude by authorities.
They forget just whose servants they are.

I agree with that, and so do all the aides I have seen so far (6 of them) since hearing the news. Some have even said that they would ignore it and say nothing. I wouldn’t want them to go that far and risk a disciplinary, but it does demonstrate the point about them knowing animals that are not dangerous.

I admit that if you are a stranger to a house you might be wary of a dog. This morning Carole arrived alone. Jules had already sensed her (he hears the car from afar) and howling, as is his wont, rushed out, we thought to greet her but he went straight past to look for the other one, often they come in twos. She was almost disappointed at the ‘snub’. :rofl:

Mainly the comments have been humorous, what next, cats, they can give you a nasty, infected scratch, budgies? Laura arrived yesterday with Bernadette. While we were chatting about it I noticed Jules sniffing her calf, peals of laughter when I said that he was wondering if it would be tasty enough to eat. :rofl: But it does demonstrate the ease they feel in his company.

Not official yet till I get a letter, and that might not happen, a bit like the mask derogation. :grinning:

1 Like

A very good artisanal bakery in Figeac that we’d been using for eleven years got a new owner/manager a few months ago. There was also a new sign on the exit door(?!) saying cats(!???) and dogs must now remain outside. Nevertheless my wife waltzed in as usual with our poodle in a shopping basket and was immediately ordered out. >> Mais, tout le monde aime un caniche miniature ! << she argued, >> Pas moi ! << was the reply.

However, we’ve had the last laugh because there’s no longer a long queue outside that bakery and doggie people instead go to the new Madame Boulange who makes fantastic bread and is dog friendly.

Errmm…no they don’t. Why should a caniche be any different, and worse if at waist level not the floor.

We take our dog everywhere but not food shops where people are handling unpackaged food.

2 Likes

I must say this is my issue. The dogs I have no issue with, it’s the people that are the problem for me. The dog can lick its rear and then give me my baguette if need be, but the human staff and the customers I have great concern about.

4 Likes

The cutest little dog (go on vomit! ) that doesn’t eat bread being carried in a basket isn’t going to do any harm in a boulangerie and I think you’re just jealous that (unlike Borders) Gigi’s welcome on planes, in smart Parisian restos, almost anywhere. :wink: Mind you, unlike a collie, I wouldn’t allow her near farm animals.

Today, I was in another anti-dog place in Figeac, this time a bioshop, where there were half a dozen toddlers wandering around mauling stuff on the shelves with their disgusting sticky little hands and playing on the floor so you had to step over them.

And then the partner of the owner got hysterical because I tried to serve myself from a hopper of vegetable stock powder with one of the little scoops that were on top of every bin. I told her I was sorry, but I was used to using the other bio co-op where you served yourself.

2 Likes

Yuck. But were they also licking their bottoms and then sniffing goods on the shelves? And would you prefer them to play actually on the shelves?

3 Likes