Starry, Starry Night - August 2020

Purely a lighthearted question :open_mouth: :hugs:

did any of you watch Halley’s Comet in 1986… ???

https://www.theplanetstoday.com/halleys_comet.html#

Yes! We went on a Brownies camping trip to a campsite at the side of a dam / lake with no nearby towns (nearest about 30km away). the Aussie skies are pretty amazing at the best of times but it was truly incredible, I was only 10 but still remember it clearly!

1 Like

My brother gave my highly detailed instructions… of how to watch and whereabouts in our garden would give the best viewing point (away from light pollution)…

It was amazing… and I plan to be around to watch the next visit… :open_mouth: :hugs:

I

1 Like

Oddly I came across it again today in ‘New York’ by Edward Rutherfurd. Now THAT is coincidence

errh? I don’t think I am any wiser,but thanks anyway Useless at Mathematics and all those techie things!

Gibbous the moonlight, gibbous the girl and leave the rest to me.

1 Like

In the ESE sky at night, there’s a very bright yellow item about 30-40 degrees above the horizon. It seems to move perceptibly southward, unless I am imagining it.

Any star-gazers care to comment on what it might be? A satellite if some kind? We live in la Manche.

Like it Mike! I went in to my ‘Origins f words’ tome, and it gave a word I recognised - ‘convex’ Class dismissed?

1 Like