Starting the Gite Journey

We are just starting this. We are looking for properties to holiday let in Brittany/Morbihan. We have had offers of help from various companies for tax, currency, property advice etc. We do not know who to trust. Is there any advice you all have?

Hello Philip, is your surname Catchpole? If so, please could you amend your name and put it after Philip, as per this website’s terms and conditions. Thanks Sue

Hi Philip,
We run a gite complex in central Brittany, in Cotes d’Armor but on the Morbihan border - we’d be happy to help if we can.
The first thing that occurs regarding the financial and tax side is that I can recommend our accountants - they are dual country UK/France and completely dual language - they sorted out all our initial stuff and still do our French tax returns and bits and pieces: http://www.shreevehallamjones.co.uk/

1 Like

My advice is to do it yourself! One step at a time, researching as you go. That is to me the best way to really keep a handle on what you are doing, and to learn about the country and the cultural quirks

There is a lot of good advice available freely - you will of course have to sort out some rubbish, but that is part of the learning experience.

The first step is to decide the broad outline of what you want to do, and the income you want to make. That then sets constraints for the next set of decisions.

So think about things like whether it has to be manageable by you and partner alone? What do you want to get out of it? Just income or an activity that brings you in contact with lots of different people, ot one particular group of people who share an interest you have. And how much time and energy do you want to devote to it, and how busy do you want your changeover days to be?

High end holiday lets earn more, but also cost more to run and maintain. So that is perhaps a secondary question.

2 Likes