Staying safe on the Web - what can I do to make my browsing more secure

@codfather

2 Likes

I always have to smile somewhat when I see links to articles such as this posted on a site that doesnā€™t implement the security features that the article/author recommends. Useful as a general way of raising public awareness, but if implemented fully on SF what would happen ? Ad revenue would drop through the floor (even if it is low already), people would be wary of joining a website where userā€™s posts end up on Facebook, logging on via an existing information / data gatherer (such as Twitter/Facebook/Google, etc) would be shunned, and inevitably, I imagine, the site would shut down, as infrastructure costs became too burdensome. Therein lies the difficulty.

1 Like

I still encourage it though, if SF was my main source of income I would be in trouble! Most months it washes its face and thatā€™s about it.

1 Like

Is this true?

They can do yes, sometimes popular topics are promoted elsewhere on the internet such as Facebook, this is a public website, it is not closed to members only so I canā€™t see how this is an issue.

Interesting article with a lot of good tips.
Only thing is that for people who have been using the InnerTubesā„¢ since the 1990ā€™s when computers were steam powered, all the trains he speaks about left the station many years ago.
Only way not to have a ā€˜digital footprintā€™ is not to have digital devices.
Note that Iā€™m not saying people should not take precautions.

2 Likes

You make a good point Sam, it really is a matter of trying to claw back what you can and being super safe going forward with what information you allow to leech out onto the Internet.

1 Like

I would be interested in extra safety for my android, I donā€™t know how safe the phone is, but I do clear history almost daily and check for any updates :thinking:

1 Like

Hi Lily - we did cover making your phone and tablet more secure - and a lot of the tips in my blog post are applicable to phones. If you are on Facebook join , send a connection request to ā€œTech Talk Mardiā€ , and there are lots of links in there that will help. I will get around to writing a blog just for mobiles. For now - make sure you have anti-virus installed, install the duckduckgo privacy tools and start using adblock as your browsers on your phone instead of Chrome - all of these will help a lot.

1 Like

Thank you Nick. I will try and see if my brain can digest this.
I have a Moto G7 and Chrome was just there :thinking: and was once told it is a good, so continued with it!
I prefer to sign out of my email address when I have finished with it, but cannot find how to do this on this mobile :thinking::slightly_frowning_face:
I donā€™t do Facebook.

1 Like

You could install Orfox webbrowser, set it as your default phone browser, then you get to choose what you allow and donā€™t allow, per website/webpage. Orfox is a by default ā€œhardenedā€ Firefox browser that uses the Tor network to connect to the internet. When you start it, it sets up the connection on its own. As a result, browsing can be somewhat slower, and some websites, generally those that will only work if you let them track you, can either not load or not be displayed correctly, but at least then youā€™ll know which oneā€™s are. You can also choose whether to activate cookies, Javascript, and other scripts that might be automatically loaded when you land on any given website. You can of course choose to save, delete, or clear your browsing history, cookies, passwords, cache, etc automatically by default, or else after a certain time of inactivity or on closing of the application. I suspect however, that most peopleā€™s expectations of a functioning website, are not those that are activated with the defaults on Orfox.

2 Likes

I would agree Alex - probably not one for the novice or someone who doesnā€™t like to investigate things. I use the Tor browser myself - but itā€™s not straight forward. Perhaps a half-way house suggestion is install the Firefox browser on your mobile and use that. It has several built in safe guards which can help - but the Duckduckgo or Adblock browsers are the ones to stop trackers and adā€™s.
Just donā€™t use the default browser and search engine - it is just setup to mine all your data.

1 Like