StopCovid App

I have health issues that put me in the extremely vulnerable category, but my approach is to make sure I don’t put myself in a position to be too close to people. So I haven’t been closer than 1 metre to anyone and therefore, as I understand it, the app wouldn’t register my existence anyway. So not sure it is worth bothering with it as wouldn’t stop me actually catching covid, which is what I must avoid.

Perhaps if I go to Paris or Lyon where harder to keep one’s distance it might be worth it, but otherwise I probably won’t.

1 Like

Worth bothering with? Thirty seconds or so to initiate the download of the App then it works away in the background. It really isn’t any bother. It’s very easy to switch the App on or off, one touch of the screen. I will be initiating it whenever I go shopping or to places where there might be a gathering of people. For the rest of the time it will be switched off. I don’t plan on getting up close to anyway but I can’t see the downside of having one more level of protection.

2 Likes

You’re too hard on yourself Stella. :grinning:

But if it only registers contacts at 1m distance or less and 15 minutes and over, then what will it be registering?

bugger all if you are > 1m distance and < 15 minutes :thinking:

But the point is precisely not to stop other precautions - indeed, when you install it the app reminds you of these - but to add an additional safety dimension. You can’t always predict when or for how long you might fall into close contact with somebody - what happens if you or the person next to you suddenly falls ill, or your - or their - car breaks down?
I understand that the bluetooth requirement is a problem for some phones - presumably i-phones - but I’m not convinced by the ‘privacy’ argument (in the case of the French government app), nor by the ‘I’m not going near anybody’ argument.
Remember it’s not just for you - it’s also to protect everybody else.

1 Like