Strimmer..... Is it broken beyond worthwhile repair

Okay - I still hate engines but can I assume that when I can no longer get my strimmer to pull its properly broken. Its not the pull cord - thats fine once removed from the engine - I can just about get the engine to spin once removed but it “sticks”. Put it back together (with drive shatf removed) and it’ll part spin then jam again. My little engine know how says its seized and start again - is it even worth the trouble of getting a man to fix it? It’s a second hand Ryobi so not exactly worth a fortune.

If I am to replace it … without spending a fortune (so no I won’t be buying Stihl etc) is there a battery equivalent - its a 30’ish cc motor. Electric have never really cut it once you hit the field and orchard - so I doubt there’s a cordless version that’ll do the job but if there is… no more March days swearing and farting around until it decides to work

I bought a Makita DUR365UZ 36v brush cutter which wasn’t expensive (£115) as I already had the batteries & charger - it is very powerful and runs for about 40 minutes per pair of 5ah batteries.

We have a B&D 36V battery powered cordless strimmer. I bought slightly thicker nylon wire than the nominal recommendation, and it manages the long grasses and brambles pretty well. Battery lasts about 30-40 minutes depending on whether I run it on full power or not.

Our local Brico offers an assessment service whereby they will check your strimmer, tell you what is wrong with it, and give you an estimate for repair for a fixed fee. Should you decide that repair is not worthwhile, then they usually deduct the assessment fee from the price of a new one if you decide to buy from them. They will also view the assessment fee as part of the payment if you decide to have yours repaired.
Either way you will have a professional opinion on which to base your decision. Good luck.

Thanks - the ride on felt left out and decided to join in the fun - so I’ll get the person fixing that to have a look at the strimmer - the new model is actually on offer in L’eclerc nearby and the cost isn’t that high so …but I’m considering gritting my teeth and opening the wallet properly and just getting something with a tad more ooomph - rather than thrashing the basic models - think the land is just a bit much at times - I jealously watched the Commune man this afternoon just strimming huge swathes in seconds

I think battery is probably not there yet for me - bit like the battery chainsaw its great until there’s a big pile of tree to get through - 30-40 minutes is barely starting the job.

What is it about Ryobi strimmers…? I have all of the attachments for mine, so the news ( from our local mechanic) that the motor unit is worn out was a bit of a blow as it also leaves me without a hedge trimmer and mini chainsaw.
I’ve had difficulty sourcing a like for like replacement and Ryobi’s best solution was to buy a new electric strimmer; fine until you add the cost of batteries!
Is the Brico assessment service universal to all their stores?
Thanks
F

When we first moved to France, I bought a Ryobi Strummer, think it was about €250, and after 13 months it broke (warranties were only 12 months then) and it was deemed irreparable by the brico shed and an indie motoculteur (can’t get the parts). I bought another, same model, same price, same shop and exactly the same thing happened. Spent a bit more and bought a husqvarna one that lasted 12 years a d only got replaced when some stupid twat ran over it.

Lesson learnt was never buy anything Ryobi - they can’t be repaired

Is he the guitarist in a Japanese Clash tribute band? :smirk:

They’re not all bad. I bought a Ryobi i/c garden vacuum/blower in 2009 and it’s still going strong. I clean the engine and change the air filter every year but that’s about it…

1 Like