Substitute for avocado in a smoothie?

I make a really great smoothie for us every day based on spinach, rocket, mache, ginger, turmeric, black pepper, chilli pepper and half an avocado, topped up with coconut cream and coconut water.

I’m aware that there is an issue these days with avocado airmiles and also the amount of water they need, so I’m wondering if there is a suitable substitute which would work as well.

The avocado does something very special, it melds the other flavours together and makes the whole drink literally smoother, in texture and flavour. It’s absence is very noticeable and alternatives (such as upping the coconut cream or increasing the spinach) are not as successful.

Any thoughts anyone please?

Have you tried banana, as that also gives a creamy texture

I used half a banana a long time before using avocado. But it can up your sugar levels. Whilst miles do matter the water isnt lost in farming it goes back into the soil. Intensive farming may upset eco systems but there is little anyone can do as we need to eat and its more human numbers that are the issue.
Finding such a healthy option to avocado would be a issue, full of good stuff.

Extracting water from the hydraulic table to water crops is damaging, and a lot then evaporates so will eventually return to the soil on the other side of the globe.

And of course we need to eat, but with so many mouths to feed it is far better to source lower energy crops.

Local fromage frais? Egg yolk?

Buy Spanish avocados direct from the farmer, they do mangoes too, and various other things depending on the season.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Sadly, some not viable - raw egg. Banana, already tried and unfortunately it clashes with something in the mix.

Haven’t seen anyone growing avocados round here - mind you, I’ve a young sapling in the compost heap and with this weather, it won’t be many years before I’ll be growing my own.

1 Like

Plant a tree, and you’ll wait three to four years for fruit. Start with a seed, you may wait 13 years or more.

1 Like

Anyone ever tried adding pumpkin or squash slices to a smoothie?

Quite possibly, how about an elimination test to find out what clashes? BTW bananas use twice the amount of water an avocado takes to grow. :blush:

1 Like

I use pumpkin for lots of things as we grow lots. And the difference in varieties is huge. So maybe try some different ones?

1 Like

Cooked sweet potato might work, texture-wise

1 Like

Maybe but you lose the benefit of the raw ingredients.

Raw sweet potato doesn’t have that creamy texture, and some things are better for you when cooked.

I’m assuming I can keep the squash raw?

No idea about raw squash - it might give you awful gutrot. You could try silken tofu maybe?
Found this about sweet potato

1 Like