Sudden very strange behaviour of my dog. Advice please

Possible tooth problem?

The vet thought we were taking him to be put down :scream: (apparently the receptionist got her wires crossed). They have been seeing a lot of pets struggling with the heat. She did a quick blood test, all fairly good for an old dog, slightly high blood sugar (blood not ā€œa jeunā€) and urea. Put him on a course of anti-inflammatories, tryto keep him cool and feed him chicken - thatā€™s tonightā€™s dinner buggered up thenā€‹:rofl:.

3 Likes

Development of diabetes might explain the weight loss.

1 Like

Exactly, Iā€™ve agreed to take him back in a couple of weeks so they can do a series of rapid blood sugar levels. Hopefully it will be a bit cooler too.

The verdict for Jules is that he had a stroke, perhaps mild, but nevertheless needs managing for the future.

He is totally back to normal now, happy in the garden searching for and trailing the overnight cats. Pity we canā€™t have a traditional small dogflap so that there wasnā€™t so much cat poo to clear up every day.

Anyway, 3 small pills at the same time with his evening meal every day for 10 days and then 2 per day for the rest of his life.

Getting to be a habit in this family though, strokes. First Match, our Breton Spaniel, who survived for a long time afterwards, Tosca, the English Setter who sadly didnā€™t, Fran, who has had 3 minis and is clawing her way back to relative normality at the moment, and now Jules. Looking back a couple of days it seems obvious now that little else could have caused such a catastrophic change of behaviour in a single second.

Me? Apart from streaming cold, cough, and asthma, Iā€™m fine. Not that anyone here notices. :roll_eyes: :rofl:

12 Likes

Maybe I should take up veterinary medicine - as stroke was the first thing that I though of.

Possibly not such a great plan at my time of life, Iā€™d be retired by the time I qualified.

At least it was minor with a quick recovery, you got him seen quickly and have him on some meds to try to prevent recurrence - some sort of blood thinner I presume?

Iā€™ve been following this. So pleased that he is better and you know what it was. Hopefully, the medication will prevent another one.

Great news that you now have Julesā€™ condition recognised and under control.

Youā€™d better look after yourself too, have you still got a nice bottle left tucked away?

But pleased that vet has a diagnosis for you - though sorry that itā€™s a stroke. Hopefully he will be stable with the drugs now.

Thanks everyone. I discounted a stroke at first for 2 reasons. There was no lopsidedness to his features or limbs and he was instead running erratically all over the place and in all rooms. I would have expected at least for his route to be biased one way or the other. Also his concentration with his nose to the floor suggested following a trail and that maybe he had detected mouse noises in the walls. That is often what he does outside with his hunting genes to the fore.

@JaneJones Might have a bit of gin left for later, a Bergerac sec and of course, porto. But Iā€™ll stick to orange juice for the time being. Got to face Fran again now though. I went in to draw the curtains against the heat of the sun and got a mouthful for my trouble, but if I donā€™t do it she will get sunstroke, it is very fierce on that side of the house.

Not sure if dogs can be compared with cats, but I found one of my cats (14 years old) unexpectedly lying outside completely inert, lying on his side, so unnatural looking. I thought he was dead, but no. When I picked him up, he began struggling, and when settled on my garden recliner he jumped off and walked in a half circle and fell over, overbalanced onto his left side, and lay as I found him before.

The vet thought heā€™d gone blind and kept him overnight during which time he recovered completely without any treatment, and none to follow.

No diagnosis except perhaps heā€™d had a cerebral event. He seems to be OK several weeks later. But much more in need of my company. But otherwise, all seems normal again. As I see now that Jules is.

2 Likes

It could be ragweed pollen causing some of youā€™re symptoms. My hay fever symptoms started with a vengeance just over a week ago, and although levels have dropped here, they spread further north after that. Think youā€™re now in a moderate area but itā€™s been higher recently. See

https://www.pollens.fr/en/

I had hay fever as a child and then it stopped when asthma took over. In my 20 s I had a massive life threatening attack and, when I survived it no more symptoms for 50 years. Then another equally serious one in 2019. Mild today once I left the bed and got upright .

2 Likes

I am so sorry for Jules but glad you found out what it was and have the medications to control. Poor dog may have had a nasty shock and fright! I hope everything goes well from now on and that you yourself feel much better soon.

1 Like

Thank you but Iā€™m sure he understands nothing about it, there are some things, sometimes. that make you wish you are a dog. :grinning:

Heā€™s never heard of Brexit, for example. :rofl:

6 Likes

David - Sorry, Iā€™m late reading this thread, but I am absolutely certain that your initial reaction was correct. Jules has not had a stroke. He does not exhibit a single symptom.
Strokes in dogs are much less common than in humans; so it would be more than unfortunate if four of yours in a row had the problem.
In your video there is ample evidence that he is totally in control of his movements. This would not be the case if he had had a stroke - whether it was ischemic or hemorrhagic the consequence is the same; brain cells are destroyed. The consequent evidence results in staggering, inability to follow a determined line, loss of bladder/poo control. Probably his eyes would not focus together; and one or more legs would be weak; he would most likely just lie down in mental confusion.
He shows none of that.
The good news is that you say he has recovered - excellent! But IMHO he has been mis-diagnosed, and is receiving unecessary treatment.

I donā€™t know - strokes donā€™t *have* to cause one sided weakness and some types of epilepsy can cause odd visual/auditory or even olfactory hallucinations.

Give that almost full recovery took place quickly this might be more in line with a ā€œmini strokeā€ which doesnā€™t necessarily result in ā€œbrain cells being destroyedā€.

3 Likes

My lovely old lab/pointer bitch had various strokes which left her with few discernable after-effects after (for the worst one) a week or so, and she lived to be 17and a half. Jules may well have had a transient ischemic attack which would be unlikely to leave him with awful after-effects.

2 Likes

Spardo "there are some things, sometimes. that make you wish you are a dog. :grinning:

Heā€™s never heard of Brexit, for example. :rofl:"

his is the funniest comment on here for a while.

ā€œI wish I was a dog so I wouldnā€™t understand Brexitā€

1 Like

Karen, Iā€™m not a dog, and I donā€™t understand Brexit (meanwhile, Gigiā€™s French and frivolous, so she donā€™t care)

Actually the first bitā€™s a lie - unfortunately, I understand Brexit all too well. It will be a decades before itā€™s ā€˜sortedā€™ and in the meantime, all one can do is hope for a decent exchange rateā€¦

1 Like