Suggestions for Good Gluten Free Bread

PS I think the best flour assortment is Germany for choice, I believe Poland good too though I like our local ground flours through local supermarket

Most bread machine recipes rely on enzymes to speed up the yeast fermentation process - ie a simplified version of the Chorley Wood process. The view these days that the vast increase in bread intolerance (including I suspect mine) is due to the incomplete fermentation provoked by the enzymes - hence the return to sourdough breads where fermentation is completely natural. OH is just making a batch now where the starter has been maturing over the last 5 days.

2 Likes

Our starter has been with us for well over 10 years!

2 Likes

My Lidl one takes all the locally ground flours, also British ones, don’t think it is using Chorleywood process? Previously I used to cover the kitchen in flour doing it all by hand, same ingredients close to same output just much less mess.

Do you not add yeast? If you do, there are almost certainly enzymes in the yeast.

Oh dear. Not on the label, at least.

I wonder whether you could do it in a bread maker? Knead it in the maker and then leave it? And then turn it back on to cook.

Hmm…maybe not as we prove for 17 hours in the fridge so not sure you could get a machine in the fridge!

You could use one of the machines that let you program your own sequence and timings.

My bread turns out completely different in winter as kitchen is very cold. Some recipes work better in summer, some winter

2 Likes

Sorry guys, thanks for all the thoughts on bread makers and I’m sure they work for you. We had one 18 years ago and it was ok for a bit but again the resulting bread - whatever the flour - was just not great for my body. So OH went down the sourdough route and the bread maker was abandoned and never made it to France.
Frustrating when food becomes one’s enemy!

1 Like

Having tried almost every GF bread on the market (including artisanal efforts) I have come to the conclusion that you need to stop thinking of it as bread and more as a medium to put things on. Less disappointing that way. Having said that M&S do some really nice GF bread and white rolls which are almost exactly like white rolls. Last time I was in the UK I bought a pack of four for my return trip sarnies and they were really tasty.

3 Likes

Also Intermarche do an own brand GF pasta made from chick peas and pois cassé- really good and healthier than the standard GF pasts made from rice.

1 Like

So true, nutritionally poor, carbohydrate high padding. :grinning:

1 Like

Perfect! :yum:

1 Like

Have you looked for spelt flour and thought of getting a Panasonic?
I know it is available as our neighbour who is a baker got some for me some time ago.

2 Likes

Can’t bring them back now Cat.

1 Like

Isn’t it just meat and dairy that you can’t bring back, rather than bread on its own? :thinking:

1 Like

I thought they were banning all stuff nowadays.

Don’t think so but I could be wrong of course! However, it’s a weeny bit academic for me at the moment as I really don’t fancy travelling to the uk :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes, as long as there’s no meat or dairy, and being gluten free they could well also be dairy free, you should be fine. Whether you’d have customs and VAT is another matter, but there’s nothing in principle that stops you on H&S grounds. The dairy one is a bit of a kicker though obviously as so many things will have something in them be it butter or milk as part of the ingredients.

1 Like