Supreme Court finds against government appeal re: Rwanda

100% clear the only reason the government wants to pull out of the ECHR is to deny people their human rights.

3 Likes

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-67418363

Rwanda can protest that it is a safe place all it likes but the problem is not about Rwanda per se (though I bet it is not actually a safe country) but the risk that claims will fail and people shipped back to their origin - to face further persecution.

1 Like

And they will not be concerned about the human rights of the UK people either.
It is time for a general election before they do any more damage.
How much has this fiasco cost, which is desperately needed by the NHS, social care and schools?

I had it on live on Sky whilst cooking and the damage being done to any reputable british government being in charge in the future is getting worse and worse. The UK is already a laughing stock with the turnover of ministers and prime ministers not to mention all the scandals, mis-spent money, covid and the rest. If I were Larry the cat I would be looking for new digs.

3 Likes

Minimum the £140 already paid to Rwanda plus all the legal fees and wasted time.

1 Like

You left out the millions after the £140, £140 would have been a bargain :laughing:

3 Likes

As the saying goes “Be careful what you wish for”

1 Like

I can’t believe that Sunak has decided to declare Rwanda a safe country in order to carry on with the evil deportation plan.

I really thought that sacking Braverman meant that we’d finished with this level of barking mad politics, but I should have known better.

2 Likes

By the time this gets sorted out there’ll have been a GE and Labour will be in power.

Apparently the oaf has suggested this.

Interesting that he’s declaring that foreign courts won’t stop him when the Supreme Court was explicit that the EHCR wasn’t relevant to their decision. Just can’t stop the lying.

I was just trying to imagine if 10-15 years ago I was asked to imagine the UK as a dystopia, I would have come up with something as bad as the current reality.

2 Likes

Not sure that I would, I’m stuck in the middle of it and not sure I believe it myself.

I do find it rather odd that the UK can pass a law to declare another country safe.

They can say anything they like in an Act of Parliament, doesn’t necessarily make it either true or legally enforceable.

Hey, he’s probably the only one doing his job well…

2 Likes

That’s a catty remark :yum:

2 Likes

That moggie’s doing a better job than JR-Mogg

1 Like

Some interesting reading here

Pity that 140,000,000 has already gone into Rwanda’s pocket, never to be seen again.

Although, maybe some Rwandans will soon be buying luxury holiday homes in London…

1 Like