Surely not 1st April? We’re getting our vote back

Not in France, Tory, Brits resident in France (and elsewhere I presume?) used to have the vote in local and European elections but obviously don’t now following Brexit. Other Europeans still do, info here :wink:

Precisely!! (One day…one day cinderella will go to the voting booth.But not sure I’ll get there for the next elections :slightly_frowning_face:)

2 Likes

Patience, Jane, patience by the bucket load, but you will get there :wink:

1 Like

I seem to remember in the backwoods of Queensland I was told by someone that I could/should vote in an upcoming election. I was moving around a bit and is the only time in my life when I have dodged a vote I was entitled to. Also, as voting in Australia was/is obligatory, I was terrified that there would be a knock on the door by someone in a uniform serving me a summons. :astonished: :laughing:

@an_droo

Brits resident in France (and elsewhere I presume?) used to have the vote in local and European elections but obviously don’t now following Brexit.

Indeed, and on at least one occasion, before my 15 years was up, I was given an EU vote in both France and England. :astonished:
But I did think it unfair though that we were barred from regional elections in both countries.

2 Likes

Sadly Labour are still opposed to this.

Labour think all expats are tax evaders and potential Tory voters, about time they paid attention to the realities.

We would have had our voting rights a long time ago if Labour hadn’t objected.

You can blame the Labour Party for that, they have always tried to reduce expats rights to vote.

I remember voting in both countries too, David, and yes it didn’t feel right!

As someone who is required to pay UK Income Tax for life, I am just pleased that I will once again be allowed to vote in UK General Elections.

1 Like

The last time there was a potential way forward with the private members Overseas Voters bill in 2018 it was filibustered by the Conservative MP Philip Davies, a member of the European Research Group (ERG) and ardent Brexiteer.

1 Like

He is a prize :poop:

2 Likes

Also my then MP for Stroud David Drew told me that the Labour Party policy was not to allow any further extension of the fifteen year rule, so both are true.
In fact, the Tory Party only supported the extension as a Private Member’s bill which it was able to be filibustered.
They did not introduce their own legislation, which only half fulfilled their promise. They must have been delighted that it was not passed so that folk who lived in the EU had no vote.

It wasn’t brought in by blair It was amended by blair

Its a fairly long read.