Surveyor recommendation near Mussidan 24400

Hi - we’re interested in a house near Mussidan but definitely want to get survey done to check structure, roof etc. If anyone has any recommendations for a good English speaking surveyor I’d be really grateful (also approx cost for a survey (is it around 1% of house price or generally fixed depending on number of rooms?).

Many thanks

French people don’t do surveys, you’ll have to find one yourself and bring him/her with you when you visit. There’s probably a list of RICS people working in France, I don’t know if they are legally significant though.

1 Like

As @vero says

You might find this helpful in finding one, should you believe it is essential, but as you will read, it is not normal practice nor easy to arrange.

Pay a reputable maçon/ couvreur, plombier-electrician etc to come and have a look, they know a lot more quite often than any surveyors which are not common here and beware of brits who say they are unless they can proove their qualifications!

4 Likes

Hopefully you really mean near Mussidan and not in it :rofl: ! Honestly great area, near to Bordeaux, Perigueux and Bergerac as well as only an hour or so to the touristy stuff to the east but nice and calm and less expensive!

1 Like

Which bits worry you, the electrics, water supply, flooding, asbestos, Termites, subsidence or
a new fosse septic the roof is simple water stains and soft timber

1 Like

But, as advised, it isn’t really a recognised thing in France and there is much doubt as to the legal status and limit if liability of any report they might give.

A local builder, as suggested, might be more use.

We used this guy but I don’t think he went as far south as 24 and his own web site has disappeared so he’s probably not in the business any more.

Was it worth it - probably not in our case but your mileage may vary as they say.

1 Like

Billy, didn’t they shut up shop a long time ago now? I seem to remember something about it as we also advertised in same French Property Newspaper back in the day or was it Welby??

2 Likes

Thanks a mill. I got the diagnostic report which is great (75 pages in total so really detailed) but there are a few things not mentioned (it didn’t mention that the house has a septic tank for the toilet despite being in a row of houses and is on the mains for water / plus it says no sign of asbestos but then states that he wasn’t able to access places in nearly every single room and roof so it still leaves me a little uncertain). As you say - probably not legally significant (which the diagnostic is) but I think for peace of mind, it might help. I’ll have a look at the RICS info. Many thanks and much appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a mill - that’s great. Really appreciate it :slight_smile:

That’s really good to know. Thanks a million

I’m surprised in what’s missing, as mains water doesn’t have to have mains drainage, drainage can be mostly anywhere.
Asbestos can be everywhere including ductwork, putty in window frames, flooring, old pipe fittings and fire retardant materials. You haven’t mentioned lead in pipework or paint.
If the house has any fireplaces, ventilation.

1 Like

You will often find that a row of houses has a cesspit and not a septic tank. We had a client who was in that situation and it was dreadful when the pit needed emptying as the only way they could do it was to run the pipe right through her house and out the back door. Ask if that is the case as it should be visible via a cover/trap etc.

Stevefrance64 - probably a bit of all of them :slight_smile: which probably is an indication I shouldn’t go ahead with the house (electrics need redoing, termite presence was seen in one room, the diagnostics couldn’t see absestos (but also put in a caveat that they weren’t able to get access to loads of places) and now we’ve learned that there is a septic tank for the toilet despite it being in the town with a small garden and their water is on the mains. It’s a pity cos the house price is in our range (prob cos of the issues mentioned) and the town is good for us. So everything bar flooding and water stains in your list I guess :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Many thanks

Ah that’s probably what it is then - there is a trap right beside the toilet which I asked about on the first visit (was told by the estate agent that it was just access to plumbing). But on second visit she said it was for the toilet drainage / septic tank. Ugh …we have a septic tank in Ireland and have to get it emptied every couple of years which its bad enough outside - gross having to have poop and waste literally run through the sitting room and kitchen … Thanks for clarifying that as it didn’t make sense that there would be a septic tank given how small the garden is. Many thanks

Any would-be Purchaser needs to know where the “brown water” (toilets etc) goes …
and have that situation (be it Cesspit or Fosse) Certified as OK (or not) after an Inspection by SPANC
and … (if at all possible)… proof that it’s been emptied/cleaned…

Sanitation can be extremely expensive… and it’s worth knowing just what one is “taking-on” before making a decision to Buy (unless one’s pockets are filled with gold :wink: :wink:

1 Like