Swapping UK Sailing/Powerboat License for a French one?

Would anyone know if you can swap UK RYA sailing/power qualifications for French equivalent? I have Day Skipper and Coastal Skipper in Sailing and Powerboat Level II and would like to know if it’s possible to show these to get the french equivalent?
Many thanks!

Apply to the RYA for an International Certificate of Competence (ICC). Your qualifications qualify you for one. If you are a member there will be no charge, if not it’s about £30. That’s all you need.

Dear David, thanks for the rapid response. I have an ICC, but I’m being told by my Swiss sailing club on Lac Leman that I need a French License since I live in France. They specifically mention as one of the boat engines has gone from 9,7 HP to 12 HP and therefore I need a french motor license.

Contact the RYA and ask their advice. My ICC limits the length of the powerboat I am licence to use not the power. I know nothing about inland waterways but perhaps you need something like the CEVNI certificate.

I think the ICC is valid for a British flagged boat, but you should have a French Permis if it is French registered. For that you need to do a course with a recognized training school. I have the ICC with CEVNI for inland waterways, but took a course for a Permis Cotiere in order to be able to hire a boat on the Med. Quite expensive, as I recall.


could you please amend your registration to show your full name… this is a friendly forum and we liked to know with whom we are chatting…


Sure - except that looking at the website I cannot see how to do that.

Nick Parsons

I’ve done it for you Nick… (you just need to put full name where it says Name) :laughing:

Thanks Nick, I have the equivalent qualifications for the Permis Cotiere (and beyond), so was wondering if there was a way to ‘swap’ them for a french one as you can for example with your driving license. I’ll keep searching :slight_smile: