My mare arrived from the UK last spring, and immediately started scratching and itching, clearly for the first time since she arrived with a full gypsy cob mane and within a week or two had none.
I have been looking at sweet itch treatment and prevention but wondered if anybody here has any views or experiences and suggestions as to how to deal with this. The vet said it was a mosquito allergy, but I think she might have said that since she didn't know the word for midges, since I can find no references to mosquito bite allergy in horses anywhere on the net!
I was able to control the itching quite well, it was never as bad as some horses suffer from it, but I don't want her to suffer at all, and her mane is growing back and I want to keep it that way so any views very welcome.
Thanks in advance