Swimming Pool Construction Costs

We have had an eye watering, hair raising, toe curling quote for a 10x5 pool with liner. Can anyone advise what an average cost should be please? It's a flat plot with clay soil. Thanks.

2nd time lucky to reply Irene, no idea where the previous attempt went?

You paint a very different picture to that of my customers who purchased a couple of electric pool covers for as they put it 50% of the price here, but I shall stick to subject I actually know about rather that SA which I have no personal knowledge of.

I have gone through several devis and I have a French friend who has translated them for me as she doesn't mind helping me with that as it's often quite tricky and boy it takes some time we agree on that.

Pop over to our SFN pool group and I will be posting some more information on there after the next pool show in a couple of weeks on new products and things to look out for and also avoid.

http://www.survivefrance.com/group/swimming-pools

I read your profile Irene, I see you were in South Africa for a while? That may have spoiled you as pools and equipment can be considerably cheaper there from information gained from a customer in the UK.

I am afraid I would have to disagree with Tony on one point which is the use of just one company. In theory that makes it easier but not better. The reason is in France and many other places pool builders haven't embraced new ideas and thinking, yes they have varied construction techniques, mainly to make them faster therefore cheaper or more profitable for themselves but nothing in the water side has changed since the 1950's.

The thermapool approach is good, I like their insulation, I use it myself but with reinforced concrete not like their kit type construction designed again to be built very fast which is one of their advertised USP's. But that's where they stop, the water technology is just the same power consuming setup from last century.

It is perfectly possible to run a pool on 5-10% of the electricity of that used by a conventional pool, that's a 90-95% saving over any other pool. I have used this system on pools constructed by other companies because I understand and design the flow systems to do this. It also improves the water quality and cuts down on chemical usage and manual maintenance time. It has cost me a lot in R&D to get there and maybe that's why the other pool companies are reluctant to go there when they can just take the easier route for themselves.

Irene, it's not that simple. The only way to tell for sure is to go over the devis. There is cheap equipment and there is better more costly equipment. There are all sorts of additions from chemical dosing to pool covers. There is good design and then there is corner cutting (not necessarily immediately noticeable) then there is the finish, basic liner, armoured liner or quartz plasters etc. How far and what type of location for the control technique. The only companies that can give accurate figure are those that use mono block type of filtration installations as it's just a hole dug and pool dropped in but they can cost a lot more to run and require more looking after despite what their salesman say. They are also the companies that are the biggest in France which they also brag about but you only get big by selling a cheaply manufactured thing at a higher price which creates the surplus. The devil is the detail.

I can cast an eye over the devis if you wish, email me over the devis if you want to.

Hi, can you recommend any local suppliers for full construction of a pool in the Charente-Maritime. We are endeavouring to work out ‘ball park’ figures after recently purchasing a new property near Chives. Ideally we want to keep costs as low as possible, while having something pretty special. Many thanks

I can only advise on who not to use. So many have closed up over the last two years.

I’m currently getting pool quotes for a client whose house is not too far from Chives - 8 x 4 liner pool with roman steps and a uniform 1.5m depth.

Unfortunately there are now very few independent pool companies so you’re left with the national brands such as Magiline and Desjoyaux, having experienced both I’m not impressed with either.

I should get the first quote in a couple of days from a company in St Jean D’Angely and will let you know the cost.

Have you got planning permission yet?

1 Like

No, not yet. Hopefully not an issue as next door has just got theirs. If you could keep me updated that would be great. We are looking at next summer, but just getting all rolling as sale is currently going through.

Thanks

Kirsty

If you need someone to draw up the plans etc and obtain approval let me know, I can recommend an architect who’s just done that for my client, cost was 850 euros.

Hello @Corona . I am looking at this thread and clicking on the link, but when I do I get this :-

Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private.

Am I going in the wrong direction?

We have a house in france without a pool and we want to understand what the basic pros and cons are between pool types and how costs relate to the pool type, before we go into detail and find potential builders/suppliers. We have no real idea whats involved.

Thanks
Graeme

Hi Graeme, thats probably quite an old link now, Its not my site so enquiries should go to James or Cat regarding content.
On the pool side I can explain various types and de-bunk a lot of the nonsense spoken by pool companies who often treat a pool as a tap to your bank balance.

1 Like

Well, that is simple enough - Discourse has the ability to create groups to which users can belong, looking back there used to be quite a few - swimming pools, woodwork, business, computers…

If I check now there are only the basic groups which the site needs to function - admin, moderators, staff etc.

I can only surmise that James removed them at some point - so you get a page not found if you try to access any of the old group links.

If you wish to have a look at the content for the old swimming pools group, the web archive machine has stashed some away which you can access at

https://web.archive.org/web/20220000000000*/http://www.survivefrance.com/group/swimming-pools

2 Likes

Billy, I dont believe I would change very much of the original content facts or message but I do not have the time at the moment to rewrite it. If we have access to it I could probably edit it down somewhat, cut out some of the noise and post it back up. I know there are less pool owners on here these days by the lack of questions but might help some. I am not looking for work as I am fully committed elswhere these days so retired from pools but if it helps people avoid the rubbish written on pools it may have some merit for SFN. Up to what you and the owners think.

4 Likes

Well @Corona , I for one would much appreciate any update you’d be able to make. I’m planning to refurbish my very old pool probably next year, and know almost nothing about them. I’ve been rather busy with other things, but when I finally get around to it, I’d much appreciate being able to also ask some poignant questions if you don’t mind.:+1:

1 Like