Just to let everyone know, I have started a swimming pool group so any issues people have with swimming pools we can have the collective input from everyone. looking to discuss equipment, pool chemistry and simplifying the process of maintenance.
Hi Lindsay, you need to join the pool group to join in with posting.
Got your email BTW.
Hi John I'm new to the forum and not sure if you will get this but I am having trouble with deciding on type of pool. It seems the more I read, the more confused I am. How do I tap into the pool forum to discuss this as a topic. Lindsayx
As I said earlier
"Whilst the unit is off to keep your pool from going green as it's into algae bloom time again buy some Eau de javel in a 20 litre biddon from a brico shed (around €12-15) and add 10ml per M3 so a 50m3 pool needs 500ml to give 1ppm of chlorine.
You need to watch the pH level to as salt chlorinators will generally cause an upward pH drift this can go to pH8.3 without trying too hard and chlorine is not very effective at that point".
You need to add chlorine now, as it's already changed to green you need to go through a pool shocking procedure. This is raising the chlorine level and holding it high with regular additions of chlorine until the algae is all dead.
I would add 4 litres of Eau de javel immediately and top up again at the end of the day with the same. keep the pump and filtration working and brush the sides and floor of the pool, it's not a spectator sport!
had trouble finding this thread again, maybe re post onto the SFN pool forum page.
Have you got any advice about what I should do next?! Sorry to be bothering you but I'd rather come to rely on what you might have to suggest I do next.....pool getting greener by the day!!
The pool is 40m3 and it is a fibre glass moulded pool
What size is your pool and what type eg liner, tiled, plaster?
Sent you a friends request to answer one of your questions.
When I've tested the ph before when the pools been working it has never been low just the chlorine. It might be because I have not used the pump for a week now?
I used dip sticks yes. Where can I get better tests from??!
Now with water some tings affect others, for example your pH is a little low but so is your chlorine, as you add chlorine your pH will rise slightly too.
Because your pH is a little low, I would say that your chlorinator hasn't been working as salt chlorinators cause a gradual rise in the pH normally as a result of the way they work so low pH is not normally a feature in a salt pool.
Salt at 1.5 I assume is 1500 ppm (parts per million) and needs normally to be in the range of 3000 ppm, but check with the manual for your chlorinator.
Are you using dip strips for the other tests? as they cannot be relied upon for accuracy, only a guide at best.
Thanks John I have now armed myself with tests for everything and as predicted the pool I have left dormant for the last 5 days is low in everything
no free chlorine
hardness ok!!!! salt 1.5
So it looks like I'm going to be chucking in just about everything but it might not be in vain like previous times as I have someone who can help me!!!! Thank you again!
Must test the salt, must test the salt!
You should be able to get at least a basic dip strip salt tester from a super market or local pool shop. a low salt level means the unit has to work really hard to produce anything and that can burn out a power supply.
Whilst the unit is off to keep your pool from going green as it's into algae bloom time again buy some Eau de javel in a 20 litre biddon from a brico shed (around €12-15) and add 10ml per M3 so a 50m3 pool needs 500ml to give 1ppm of chlorine.
You need to watch the pH level to as salt chlorinators will generally cause an upward pH drift this can go to pH8.3 without trying too hard and chlorine is not very effective at that point.
Check and adjust your salt if necessary.
Test the water at the return jet when the chlorinator is on, that should show a reasonably high level of chlorine as it enters the pool there, obviously that would indicate the unit is functioning.
The chlorine producing cells (the plumbing part) don't last for ever, around 5-7 years in most cases and that despite having everything else working correctly will also means very little chlorine. You should be able to see the plates inside the chlorinator and if they have calcaire (limescale) built up on them soaking the cell in white vinegar for a while will remove that and could give the cell a new lease of life.
If you can post a set of the current water figures it is useful.
Sorry for the delay in writing. The unit is Ecosalt Davey Monarch Series 13. I have turned the whole system off as I know I have done something wrong and am probably compromising the salt convertor.
I never test salt, I test chlorine and alkaline with the supermarket tester....don't test CH or CYA...opps!
What is the make of your unit?
How do you test your chlorine and other levels? eg salt, pH, Alk, CH and CYA?
I have an electrolyte convertor in my swimming pool system but I think it's not working as previous years it has been so easy to keep clear and this year the chlorine levels have plummeted like no other time. How do you test they are working or not? I have had swimming pool people out for 250€ minimum so would appreciate your comments before asking them to come!