Sworn translators no longer needed?

sorry its been pointed out to me there is a language change bar (i missed it my wife pointed it out.)

(I deleted some posts as i missed the bar and was giving incorrect info on them)

Thanks for apologising Harryā€¦ and sorting out your Posts.

That sort of thing happens to all of us from time to timeā€¦ :relaxed:

1 Like

yup, always nice to have it pointed out in a nice way like my wife kindly pointed to me.

Traducteurs assermentĆ©s donā€™t only certify certificates, although thatā€™s probably the only context where law-abiding citizens ever need to use them. Most of their work is to do with things like arrests/investigations/prosecutions/complaints/disputes. For as long as there are court cases and other legal proceedings involving foreign documents that need to be understood by police investigators, avocats and judges, traducters assermentĆ©s will no doubt be kept busy.

4 Likes

Note the word ā€˜certainā€™ documents. That means not ā€˜allā€™ documents. Devil in the detail and all that?

1 Like

The new regulation will put an end to a number of bureaucratic procedures:
public documents (for example, birth, marriage or the absence of a criminal record) issued in a Union country must be accepted as authentic in another Member State without the need to carry an authenticity stamp (i.e. the apostle);

The regulation also abolishes the obligation for citizens to provide in all cases a certified copy and a certified translation of their public documents. Citizens can also use a multilingual standard form, available in all EU languages, to present as translation aid attached to their public document to avoid translation requirements;

some documents may still require a translation at this time while every system is put in place but it will be all documents. Iā€™ve put in bold the part relating to it.

What it means is you can have a copy made yourself if they ask for it, a sworn translator is not needed.

anyone got any up-to-date info, this article is 3 years old.
There was a lot of talk a few years ago and the outcome was that the UK hadnā€™t signed the agreement (surprise) so whilst other countries no longer need their docs translated Brits doā€¦!

Thatā€™s the problem with taking EU documents as Gospel there are often overriding circumstances.

its eu legislation not that the UK will be part of that much longer but France is already accepting it for most areas. the legislation came into effect June 2016 and 2 years everyone has to be doing it but the listed page is the only thing that will be written. Bit like the law, once its written there is not an update unless its modified.

Linking the mental health act to show what i mean just in case my wording is wrong. its not been updated since 20007

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2007/12/contents

Thanks Harry, but what Iā€™m saying is (and this was discussed at length when announced back then) the UK refused to sign up to it/used their veto so even before Brexit was an issue it made no difference for british documents within the EU. We got pacsā€™d 18 months ago and all the documents from my side needed translations (assermentĆ©es) my partner is french so no hassle there. Years ago I exchanged my driving licence for a french one - no translations needed (I was a translator at that time!) just a chat with the person dealing to clear a few things up. Iā€™m going through the naturalisation process and everything has to be translated (again traductions assermentĆ©es)ā€¦ so what Iā€™m trying to say is that for Brits, regardless of Brexit, itā€™s a bit of a non starter :wink:

18 months ago was still in process, i have today just used my English birth certificate yet again questioned and shown the legislation and a quick phone call and it was accepted and documents stamped. funny thing also it was y original document issued the day i was born as i know some folks have been asked for one less than 3 months old.

while the uk refused to sign documents here are accepted its just the UK that wont accept foreign documents.

Birth certificates are a special case because France uses their system of a recent copy as a form of identity check.

Iā€™m not sure about the U.K. not accepting foreign documents. When my wife took British nationality in the seventies all her French documents were accepted without the need for any translations. After the few papers that were required had been approved, the whole process took less than half an hour in our local solicitorā€™s office.

they just refused to sign as some countries paperwork can be a it suspect. with birth certificates its great for the French but i explained a few time to the French how difficult and expensive it is and how long it takes to get a birth cert copy and pointed that often they loose them and then its out of date again.

Well, as long as Malta stays in, Europe will have to keep English. Malta has 2 official languages Maltese and English.