T-junction for water line

Hi,

OH wants to make a T-junction in the water line. The problem is: where to find the part he needs. The T-junction would have 25 mm at two ends so he can insert into the existing water line, and the third would ideally be 16 mm in diameter. Or, all three could be 25 mm (he could fit a reducer or whatever you call it, to make it fit the 16 mm).

Ideally he seeks one in brass or steel rather than plastic.

We’ve searched online and at Bricolages but so far no luck.

Does anyone have any recommendations for where to buy one?

Thanks,
Mary

I was at a Weldom store this morning to buy hose and couplings for an irrigation system for the vegetable garden, there were plenty in different sizes.

2 Likes

Thanks! I showed OH the website for Weldom www.weldom.fr, where I found a lot of different search results for the word: “te”

Cheers!

Not a direct reply to your question but, while your OH is modifying the pipe, it might be worth putting in a valve on each of the branches immediately downstream of the junction, i.e. right at the tee piece. These may be useful in the future if/when you need to isolate one or other of the branch lines :slight_smile:

3 Likes

T pieces in copper, brass and plastic are readily available in a range of sizes (Inc 25mm) in all of our local brico sheds: Bricomarché, Mr Bricolage, Leroy Merlin etc. Try asking at the advice desks of your local emporia.

1 Like

Look in the agricultural supply places ,agricoop ,gamm vert etc they have many large size tees.

Have a look here: https://www.mr-bricolage.fr/Autun/catalogsearch/result/?q=te+laiton

1 Like

Wirquin is a brand that comes up sometimes with difficult to find or usefully designed bits of plumbing jointy things. Always seem to get 5 star ratings from professionals.

1 Like

Just had a peek at the Screwfix webite for France and all their stores are in the north. I wonder if they will move south.
An outlet in Montauban would be handy (Cahors even better)
I am assuming their prices are very competitive like in the UK. Must compare some items with UK

Livraison GRATUITE pour toutes les commandes supérieures à 50 €. Pour les commandes inférieures à 50€, les frais de livraison sont de 5€ TTC.

1 Like

Sadly not. I just compared shower mixers UK to FR and the prices seem 'French typical ’ rather than like those in the UK.

These seem quite keenly priced. Can they be bought more cheaply elsewhere? I don’t know the prices here. Probably bigger quantity than most people need for diy

Typically, the thread is jumping all over the place so we are now at 22 16 22 solder connections…

Mary, please confirm that you are talking 25 and 16mm HDPE buried pipe?

I assume you are, as 25mm copper is not a domestic norm. If it is HDPE, then why do you want brass especially? Quality plastic HDPE fittings are very good and many say ‘grab’ the pipe far better than brass…search for ‘Raccord compression PE reduit te 25 16 25’ and if you want brass, add ‘laiton’. I quickly searched but no luck. You may have to buy a ‘25 25 25 te egal’ and buy a ‘25 16 reduit raccord’

Hope this helps but apologies if you dot mean HDPE pipe…

4 Likes

google
Raccord Té PE 25

Hi Adam,

Your comments are much appreciated, as indeed OH is looking for brass or steel T-junction above ground on plastic, 25 mm tubing for the water. I think he is meaning HDPE.

He seems to think the plastic T-junction wasn’t as good an option but I wonder if he’s thought it through with regard to what you’re saying about ‘grab’ of quality plastic… Cheers!!

HDPE or PE pipe is pretty versatile but ask him to use ‘thick wall’ type - usually has a blue line running the length as this has more meat for the barbs to sink into. Do not, if this is a new install, be tempted by price. Cheap HDPE does not have wall thickness uniformity and kinks very easily. Once kinked, it has to be cut and joined with a coupling. Waste of time.

I think you will find the spec of plastic fittings pretty robust and nothing to be afraid of - again use quality fittings.

I have laid miles of the stuff, mainly with trencher, but much above ground and never has brass been specified that I can remember.

4 Likes

GARDENA make quality push-fit connectors for 25 HDPE pipework. About €5. I have never had the slightest problem. To fit one: 2 mins; can be released/refitted as many times as you like. No brainer IMHO.

1 Like

We found an independent (non-box) local store called Cedeo, for the parts. Good customer service, and lots of choice. Not cheap, but two out of three isn’t bad. :blush: