Take care when swimming

This summer's death toll by drowning has already started to rise.
The RLSS in the UK has said that more people die by drowning than in cycling accidents.
Here, the authorities have reminded us of the annual toll of 300 drownings on the Atlantic coast of France alone and that an even greater number of people die in swimming pools.
So here are a few simple rules to ensure that you only have happy memories of this year's holiday.
1./ Only swim in designated areas where there are lifeguards.
2./ Pay attention to warnings of unsafe swimming conditions.
3./ Don't eat or drink alcohol before swimming. They used to say allow an hour after eating, but I think that should be at least two hours.
4./ Don't allow children to swim unsupervised. Many camp sites have unsupervised pools, so you must be there to watch your children.
5./ Plastic "swimming aids" boats and other toys carry a warning "Not to be used as a Life Preserver." A child is not safe just because he has one of these things.
6./ I know it is no good telling you not to plunge in to save a family member, even if you are only going to make the situation worse, but make sure you have called the local lifesavers first. They are the experts and are familiar with local conditions.
7./ Regardless of breed or age, your dog is better able to survive in water than you are. If your dog gets swept out to sea, chances are he will come ashore half a mile down the beach, shaking water all over the sunbathers. But if he can't survive, neither can you.

Have a safe and happy holiday.

There was a case a couple of years back when a boy died trying to retrieve his goggles that had dropped through a grating at the bottom of the pool.
Perhaps I should have mentioned that, according to the French authorities, 50% of drownings occur in pools. It only takes 3 minutes to drown.

One 11 year old child in the Perigord has drowned because of a faulty main drain it appears (July 2015). Main drains are potentially dangerous and not needed for a pool.