Tall Skirting board supplier

without knowing what you are including as Brico… have you visited shops such as LaPeyre, Leroy Merlin and similar ???
even if you can’t find just what you want… we’ve found that discussing with the store and asking “ok you don’t do this blah blah, so where should I look…”
has provided the answer or at least shown us another step on the trail to locating just what we want…

If your area is “into” doing up buildings, the Mairie might have info… ours has a wealth of business cards and pamphlets re local craftsmen etc

1 Like

I do not have any problem with burning lead painted wood, as I do not with the 40 10mt telegraph poles I purchased from a fibre infrastructure company. Because our house is greatly lower in height than all our neighbours, we fitted, some years ago, a scrubber on the flue for our wood burner for their benefit. There are no untoward particulates leaving our chimney, in fact the scrubber is removed, cleaned and re-certificated every two years. I must presume that you test your own chimney discharges for anything that is disagreeable.

I would be interested to know more of the chimney scrubber as I wondered if there was one for domestic properties. If you have any info or a link please.

Had a chat with our local company (they have supplied a wide variety of mouldings etc for our ongoing reno) but since they exclusivly use oak it was way too pricey for the skirting. OH could have used thin mdf in 2 sizes to create his own, but tried and it looked horrible.
For the sake of speed (I wanted the bedroom finished after 6months) and aesthetics we went with a supplier we knew from Scottish reno.

Any local Chippy with router table and bits should be able to make them, for specialized cuts will need a purpose built bit.

I purchased our filter from these bods in the UK, another example of not buying locally (not available). We paid a squeeze under £2000, but I note the current price is a bit dearer. The scrubber is touted as self-cleaning, but being a bit septic [sic] about these things, we clean it anyway.
It is available via Germany but the price was considerably higher.

1 Like

Ta, will take a read. :+1:

Back in the day I had a large workshop as part of my construction company. Running the company meant that I was too busy to practice my trade of carpentry so had a hand picked team in the shop.
My office overlooked the shop via a large internal window so that I could see what was going on.
My workshop foreman was a chap in his mid 40s and could make the machinery talk. He could fashion the cutting tool on the spindle moulder to produce every type of moulding.
There will be such a chap in most every town and many villages in France busy in his woodworking shop as unlike in the UK France still embraces small companies making bespoke items.
There will be such a place near you but dont expect to pay Brico shed prices.

3 Likes

Had mouldings made in our local menusier.
2 x 2.4mtr length of bespoke mouldings to fix a cabinet door 120Euro.
OH declared ‘we was robbed’. Still go back there for bespoke items and to have look. Their workshop is fascinating.
Just not for skirting boards - cannot get a mortgage in France :laughing:

Fair enough if they have to make the profile cutter but just passing timber through a spindle molder shouldnt be that expensive even in France? A portion of the cost obviously for a replacement cutter as wear is quite considerable cutting timber.

That is exactly what I could do with - just a tad pricey.

2 Likes

Once you have bought the machine apparently not :wink:

1 Like

You have to find the profile cutter though. My mate made one for me at his work but sadly he retires next month and I am not buying a cutter grinder to go with the spindle molder. Yep pricey unless you can find one 2nd hand but also bloody heavy being a cast iron frame.

Well…….