Tax 2021 (2020 income)

Teachers and university staff pensions can be either governmental (taxed in UK) or non-government (taxed here) depending on specific details.

This explains

1 Like

Thanks, Graham.

1 Like

I’ve got both types of unversity pension -The Teacher’s Pension Fund for school teachers and lecturers in former polys (post 1993 universities), colleges of HE/FE etc is classed as a government pension and is taxed at source in the UK. The USS (University Superann. Scheme) - mainly older, Russell Group universities is classed as non-governmental and is taxed in France.

1 Like

@AngelaR

For euro rate conversion I think I read some people use the actual rate they get when converting - i.e. just declare the actual euro amounts received? If that’s allowed some sort of calculation might be able to deal with any residual amounts.

Some people have said they get a good rate for getting the state pension paid direct to a euro bank account. Does anybody know what the rate is - e.g. better than transferwise’s 0.35% to 0.37% on the day. Then one could just declare these amounts received directly?

Of course, with time on one’s hand one would compare the different treatments to find the most effective method unless they were not a fan of arithmetic!

That’s a difficult one to answer. HMG often purchase the funds forward in advance of the day payment is actually due by which time the rate may well have moved - either up or down, as it does almost constantly during the day anyway, so getting a fix on how good the rate is may not be possible to compare. That said, the rate is generally always close to the interbank as a result of HMGs purchasing power (or prowess) but because of the time line, it’s difficult to make a direct comparison with the likes of Wise and others in this respect. We have our State pensions paid direct in Euro to our French Bank account by HMG but the others are paid in Sterling since the providers agency (an American company) seems to like to take their “cut”.

One advantage of being retired perhaps… I think I mentioned above that I have constructed my own spreadsheet as a financial tool for keeping track of our pensions giving 3 tables:

• T1 Pensions in € /remainder in ECB/specified Use rate;
  • T2 Pensions due in Sterling converted to ECB/Use rate equivalent;
  • T3 T2 based only on Annualised ECB rate

I print out the spreadsheet at the end of the year and keep it with my year end tax return papers on file. along with any other sources of reference/advice applicable to that years return.
My spreadsheet automatically separates the figures for:

• Declarant 1
  • Declarant 2
  • Government 1
  • Non Government 1

1 for each declarant

in a format to make filling in the return as simple as it can be.

Yes, I’ll have to get going on a spreadsheet - yours looks a practical approach. Not so difficult as each month I do a ‘Wise’ transfer for the rent.

I’ve found at the moment timing is everything - From November to now the rate has moved between 1.06 and 1.18 - that’s almost a 100 euro’s difference on the bill. Went from hitting 1.18 to 1.15 in 3 days from the 5th April…

For state pension in practical terms a comparison could be done? - because effectively you would compare the euro amount to what you would get doing a Wise transfer the day it would be paid in sterling? As if it was being paid sterling that’s what you might do?

Sorry if drifting slightly off topic here into currency hedging / speculation - I’m finding the key issue is not which box to put a number in, it’s determining the numbers themselves!

I transfer my other pensions from the UK myself, picking my day slightly, but the State Pension is paid directly into my French bank account and has always seemed to be at a very good rate, so I’ve left things as they are. There are more fun things I can do with my time :smiley:

Time to resurrect this old thread on this very subject perhaps?

Sorry Graham…

1 Like

From Lettre Service-Public 22 avril 21

Interesting. Always good practice to use all your rights to allowances - and nice to see the flat rate teleworking one is more generous than the UK - not that frontaliers will be claiming that!

Scrolling down, there is a section on allowances for children dependents. They go up to age 25 and I think one can deduct the payments to them when they are in Uni or minimum wage etc- which I have done (made payments), and will do quite a lot for one of the sprogs.

Anyone actually claimed allowances in France for supporting kids in the Uk at Uni, or on low wage? These aren’t maintenance payments- they’re voluntary payments to help them.

As its the first tax declaration and its for a month, it probably won’t make any difference to tax as there won’t be any due anyway, but wonder if I should ‘declare’ my offspringthis year ready for next year’s 2021 declaration when it may indeed make a difference?

And if anyone does so (for UK resident sproglings) as ever, what boxes?

I have an idea that these only qualify if they are officially made - ie after a court order - but I have no idea if this is correct or not…

Might be a reasonable thing to do, even if no payment is expected or likely to be received, just so that there are no surprises when they suddenly “pop up” on a future occasion inviting the possibility of a contrôle.

Look through the How To reference above to see if it is mentioned.

Section 5.3.5 mentions supporting children at uni.

I would also be interested if anybody has claimed this for supporting their children at uni in the UK. I have 2 at uni.

1 Like

Hello Graham don’t know whether you can help or not just completing return and at last minute so near yet so far away will not let me complete until I fill in another box it is for income received from uk rental property I have filled in amount on 2047K transfered amount to form 2042 4BL and included sum in box 8TK but they are telling me I need to complete another box poss 4BA2 is this correct never had to complete this box before I have looked everywhere I can to try and solve this yet can’t find an answer would be very grateful if you have any idea thanks

From the Help Tax Form link above

You can always leave the completion as it is for now and go back to it later (before the deadline date) so no panic…

Thank you good advice will have today off

1 Like

What date is the deadline for submission of the return?

@Mat_Davies this post up the chain explains the dates Mat (dependant on Dept and whether paper or on line).

I completed my first application online this afternoon, and saw the section about students. My son was born in Paris but we moved back when he was 6. He is now studying at uni in the UK, so I thought I’d try to claim.

I could put on the form that he was born in dept 75, but I couldn’t work out how to put he lives at a UK address, as the dept number was a drop down field without the usual 99 for “étranger”. I gave up in the end and took the dog for a walk instead.