Tax advice from bi-lingual consultant?

I have worked in UK as a psychoanalyst and want advice from a bi-lingual tax advisor on tax laws and what to claim against tax. At present I am still registered with the UK Inland Revenue as I have only lived here since August 2018. Can anyone recommend a tax advisor who is bi-lingual?


Slightly unsure of the question really as tax is a big subject!

You should have already done a french tax return for the august - December period? So have you set up a french based business? The french laws are quite strict and if you are physically in france when you are working (even if via internet) then you should be registered in France and be declaring that income in france. Or if you are working for a UK based company as a displaced worker then there are other rules.

Brenda, Welcome to the Forum.

Since you will have to make your first Worldwide Income Declaration in person, at a French Tax Office - you might as well get in touch with your Local Tax Office.

If you (very politely) ask for an appointment with someone who speaks/understands English in order to discuss your situation, you should find them helpful.

If you wish for more specific advice on the forum - you will need to give us more details.

As Jane says, if you live and work in France you are obliged to be registered and paying social contributions in France, really from Day One. This will then entitle you to health cover and other social benefits in France.
Once you are no longer UK resident you’re no longer covered by the NHS, or entitled to pay NICs, except in particular circumstances which require HMRC’s explicit approval.
Best get it sorted asap because any period you’ve spent working here without being registered, will potentially become an issue for various reasons - firstly because any time during which you’re not correctly exercising your FoM as a worker is unlikely to be counted towards legal residence if and when you apply for a carte de séjour, secondly because you’re not entitled to health cover from either the UK or France while you’re in limbo between the two and that obviously isn’t a good situation to be in, and thirdly because working unregistered (ie “on the black”) can lead to problems with URSSAF and/or DIRECCTE, as well as the tax office; in fact the tax office tends to be very forgiving, but URSSAF and DIRECCTE less so.

As regards claiming business expenses in France, that would depend which business regime you choose, there are a number of options. You could go to your local Chambre de Commerce for business advice - if you’re in an area where there are a lot of Brits, your CdeC will likely have an English speaking advisor.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

EDIT - re-reading your post, do you continue to return to the UK to carry out the work, and if so do you have a portable health document to confirm to the French authorities that the UK remains responsible for your social security?
If so your income tax would be between you and HMRC. HMRC publishes a number of guides on what expenses are allowable, or failing that, I suggest you find a UK accountant.

Thank you so much Stella. And for your swift reply. I will begin where you suggest and go from there - then get back to you on the Forum for more information,

Many thanks for the information. I don’t and don’t intend to work on the black - I have a liberal profession and intend to exercise it honestly - and actually, i am entitled to use the NHS as a non resident because I have received formal notification from them, that I can still use the service. There are certain categories that count. This does not require HMRC approval but is decided by the NHS according to age and whether one is in receipt of a UK pension or not.

I will seek advice from a tax consultation - as I really need simple and specific information.

Fair enough.
Normally decisions on NHS eligibility for retirees are made by DWP and decisions on NHS eligibility for workers are made by HMRC. Working in France normally invalidates a retiree’s S1. But of course there are all kinds of specificities.
It’s also important to ensure that France’s criteria are being met, as well as the UK criteria. For instance, anyone who is here as a posted worker with their social security covered by the UK, must be declared on the SIPSI database.
However, if you’re sure you’ve asked all the relevant questions and are aware of all the rules then please ignore me. It’s just that I’m over-cautious about all this because as an interpreter I’ve been called in all too often by Brits who have got pulled up for breaking rules they genuinely never knew existed, and I always feel desperately sorry for them.

I am very thankful for your help, and I would like you to know that - but first I need the first step to take, rather than a wealth of information. You can’t really give me anything specific until i tell you my individual case. It becomes too general and I need to be practical. I will begin by going down to the local tax office and treat it simply. Then I will come back to the forum as you evidently know a lot about the system that i don’t know. Thanks again.

There is a bilingual firm in the Haute Savoie that will consult by phone. However, they will charge you if it’s more than a quick call, so starting with your local tax office is good advice. Tax people here are remarkably friendly (not that I’ve ever had a problem with HMRC). I’d recommend a bit of preparation with deepl or google translate and don’t go on a wednesday or Friday afternoon when public offices generally have fewer staff available.

Here is the firm.

Thanks Jane

I’ll look into that. I always found HMRC friendly too so glad to hear France is similar. After all, they’re only people ! And will look at that website.