Tax Declaration 2022 for Worldwide Income 2021

That’s what Isabelle Want suggests, so I would do it to be on the safe side - as confirmation of your ID.
I presumed (incorrectly) you were referring to the online guide.
The paper versions and online follow the basic same pattern but there still remain differences in the forms etc between the two arrangements.
You have reminded me I should add to the guide that a first time submission can be made on line - this was discussed in last years round - I look for the reference and add a page concerning this.
Thanks again.

Thanks. I have tried to go online but keep going in a never ending loop of not having a tax number.

Yes, it does… you need a TIN (numéro fiscale) which you normally only get after your first submission on paper but someone last year found the way to get a TIN in advance of their first submission - it’s that what I am now looking for… too late for this year perhaps (as most paper submissions are already on going) but it will be useful for preparing next years guide.
I have found this reference but I’m sure there was also somebody mentioning it on SF last year.

Ahh I’ve filled these forms out best I can…If theres an issue do they contact you for more info?

Yes, I’m sure they will. Can’t remember if the paper version has a place for your email address though… the online version certainly does.

It may have been @Mat_Davies who got a TIN before filling in a first return on paper which allowed him to do it online :thinking:
Perhaps he might confirm… IIRC I think he emailed the tax office for it.

I thank you for your help Graham, but when I finally managed to get back into my declaration I’m blowed if I could find where to declare that measly €14. But what I did find, which I hadn’t before, was the blank space to bring anomalies to their attention. I duly wrote very clearly the story behind the interest and from what bank it originated.

But when I tried to move on, presumably to sign again(?) it re-directed me to somewhere else. Nowhere could I find any box suitable so I think ticked the one for profit made on a house sale. Of course that was wrong and it wouldn’t let me go back to that to untick it.

So in the end I just threw up my hands and more or less in choice language told them to do their worst.

Another bloody hour that I won’t get back, I don’t think I am all that thick, so how do people who are manage?

Hi @KarenLot ,

yes will come back to you, for sure, I appreciate your interest and potential relevance to yourself, sorry works massive at the mo. give me a few days.

did take time off too and do an hour of eurovision, thanks Ukraine - though kinda liked the France rap too?..

I wonder if the extension to Declaration Date for Paper (now 31/5/22) is because Tax Offices are over-run with folk chasing appointments to do a face-to-face.

When I went and queued, in order to ask various questions for me and others
One friend wanted an appointment and the Receptionist apologised and told me she had no appointments free before the beginning of June and that’s too late !!
… all full up, she said, sadly.
Mind you, she affirmed… folk can still queue… and have been doing so ever since, so I am told.

I’m so glad it’s been extended, takes some of the pressure/worry off…

Has anyone actually missed the deadline? Would you be immediately fined? In Germany, if you miss the deadline they just send you a letter setting you a new deadline, no fine, probably because they’ve got plenty to do anyway.

Missing the deadline means risking a fine of 10 percent of the total tax bill, which can rise to 40 percent if a preliminary warning letter is sent by the tax department.

That could mean of course that if you are below the tax threshold you would not have any penalty to pay but I would not advise testing that out with the Fisc.

@Stella your hunch that tax offices are under even more than usual tax filing season pressure eg in processing face to face meetings, was borne out at our local Seine Maritime tax office yesterday. Appointments (extremely limited in number) are only available if booked online. Strictly no turning up/queuing without an appointment. Short shrift was given to somebody who dared turn up without an appointment. Literally shown the door. I think he only wanted to hand in his return. Refused! All doors barred. Admission only via the side entrance after confirmation of our name and meeting time. No lights on whatsoever in the normal public areas, as the public is not being admitted, bar by appointment.Nobody behind any of the guichets for the same reason. You couldn’t even post your return through a letter box! All very strange.

Good grief… that’s appalling. While I was quietly queuing the other week, I saw people arriving to pop their envelope through the special “flap” in the wall of the building. In fact, the gentleman who was No1 in the queue , was kindly pointing it out to those who dithered…

Mind you, queueing here is only allowed on certain mornings and appointments (gold-dust) are only on certain afternoons… but it’s obviously better than in your area.

I visited the tax office (see post above) yesterday for my maiden voyage as a French tax payer, clutching a signed paper return to hand over, and a form DT1 for them to sign to enable me to receive my UK pension without UK withholding tax. The latter form, despite being entirely in English, was signed and stamped without comment (as had been predicted/reported by others on SF).

However the tax lady told me off that I hadn’t used the ‘right’ annexe to report salary that was exempt from tax in France (under the UK/France treaty). This was the final month of salary for an employment carried out entirely in the UK, earned whilst UK resident but paid shortly after arrival in France. I was told that if I was going to file a return, it had to be on the correct annexe. Fair enough. I had struggled to decipher the treaty article and guidance notes from the French tax office, in particular the filing treatment for exempt salaries, and had basically ‘shoehorned’ the number into what appeared to be treaty exempt income. There is no real effect on my French tax liability as there is no other income, bar 50€ of interest.

However she told me that treaty exempt income such as salary from the US, UK, Australia, Canada etc is reported on 2047, and France treats that income as if its suffered French tax equivalent to the liability it would have incurred in France, as long as it’s been taxed overseas. To my mind that didn’t sound like exemption, but a warning look from my wife sitting alongside me strongly suggested not pursuing this technical line with the tax lady! As many have said on SF, she then fetched the right annexe, 2047, showed me what to fill out where, I signed it then and there and added it to the return I’d just handed her. I can’t imagine either HMRC in the UK or the IRS in the US (both of whom I’ve regularly dealt with) being remotely as helpful.

2 Likes

Glad you had a good experience… I keep saying that the Tax Folk are NOT Ogres… :rofl: :rofl:

I assure you it is… the underlying question is whether the French tax system should compensate a tax payer for excesses of tax demanded from a different State.
Initially, it was constructed that way but the change came when Gordon Brown was the UK Chancellor and the anomaly (which gave an improper financial advantage) was fixed both ways in the DTT (UK/FR FR/UK). I can’t speak for the US IRS.

I wasn’t intending to try it. I was just curious if anyone had been late and they were really so strict.

I was quoted an exchange rate of 1,14989 by the fisc, so I shall take advantage of it!

1 Like

I suggest that how the Tax Folk will deal with folk depends on the circumstances around the delay/lateness.
Anyone who is having difficulty doing a paper return and can’t get an appointmen and fears it will arrive late as a result… . I suggest the person write/phone and explain the problem.
That way, at least, both sides know what is going on. In any important situation, I always ask for the name of the person with whom I am dealing… and note it in my records (along with a resumé of our conversation)

On the otherhand I know folk who have submitted on time for years… .yet omitted to declare something … an unfortunate misunderstanding rather than deliberate fraud/avoidance. Tax folk were very understanding and did not drop on them from a great height or fine them. phew

Anyone having troubles on-line declaring… send a message through one’s personal page on the impots gouv fr site… let them know what’s going on chez-vous.

1 Like

This explains what happens with “late declarations”… phew…

The Link has been updated…

1 Like