Tax d'Habitation -I'm confused

That would be my understanding too. Hopefully just to audit though. Sarl accounts work on a profit and loss basis as oppose to turnover so is more like the UK tax system. That being the case I shall happily do the accounts until the cows come home.

1 Like

We operate on P&L and accounts have to go through and be signed off by an accountant.

1 Like

Mat, I wouldn’t assume anything to be the case when it comes to Direct Debits and the Finances Publiques. In my experience you have to hand over one if those pesky RIB (RelĂšve d’IdentitĂ© Bancaire) slips printed off by you from your on-line Bank account, or provided by the Branch itself. For each one.

If you want to know whether a DD is in place for any kind of tax, ask in person at the local Centre de Finances Publiques, it’s the most reliable way of finding out anything, I’ve found.

We didn’t get the personal code needed to log on to our Espace Particulier on the impot.gouv.fr website for 18 months after our first tax declaration. Nobody knew why, it was just one of those glitches, and we would have to wait. So we waited, and eventually it appeared.

Thanks Peter.

Aha! We visited the local Tresor Publique office this morning - all is now clear.

We purchased the house last December, they had that on record and that we are liable for Taxe d’Habitation and Fonciere. The good news is that with the machinations of the bureaucracy being slow and cumbersome, we do not have to pay this year. The bad news is that next year we will receive 2 bills for each.

Well done
 !!

Hi, We moved over in June 2016. We only had to give the 7 months that we were living in France. If we had moved in late August we would not have done a tax return until 2018.

This is because you main residence for last year, they always take your income etc from the last year. You moved 9 December 2017. Hence you would be looking at where was your primary addresswas for 2017, There is something about having to be in France for 189 (somewhere around this number) to be expected to fill in your tax return.

Most of your income was in the country you have come from, they would have had your house tax, income up till you left your primary address. You may get a rebate from your Pr (primary residence) it depends on again which country you come from. Same with income tax. So therefore you are not required to send in a tax return until May 2019. This is more than likely why you haven’t had a bill.

As you have sent in a tax return it may pay you to go to your tax office and explain to them that you didn’t know the rule about how long you have been a resident in France, It makes such a difference to tax returns.

You can acutually get in touch with Club95info. It is Vincent who can advise you, his firm do seminars in Niort. He will beable to offically tell you all the ins and outs. He speaks English so if you do not speak French well enough and speaks English.

I hope this will mean no more confussion. All the best

Hello Sylvia @Sylviarr and Welcome to the forum

Please update your Registration to show your full name. If you are not sure how to do that, simply put your Full Name on this thread and I will amend your Registration for you

Also
 please post the Link to Club95info that you mention

cheers

1 Like

There’s an awful lot of confusion on this thread, and especially alarming to see the old urban myth about “you don’t have start declaring your income until you’ve been in France for 6 months” reappearing - no, that is not a criteria for residence. Saying that you don’t have to fill in a tax return if you haven’t been in France for XXX days is rubbish, and it’s dangerously misleading. France’s rules for tax residency are here RĂ©sident de France / Residents of France | impots.gouv.fr
For Brits, the tax treaty is pretty simple and in most cases, if you arrive here with the intention of staying, and you do stay, then retrospectively you become tax resident from the date you arrived, and that’s the leaving date you notify to the UK.

@Magwych, I wouldn’t be too quick to dismiss the French state information system until you’ve used it. It does help if you understand how the French system operates, of course, because it’s not entirely dumbed down and you do need to be clear on what process you want to use, but once you get used to it, it actually works very well. It is a very ambitious project, the most recent rollout being the ANTS system which had bad teething problems but that seems to be working better now. Since you used to work in IT you may be interested in the project (France has a long term public service digitization project which it launched back in 2015 I think, the public is kept informed, it’s totally transparent and things are keeping to schedule pretty much, a little different from the UK approach I think).
The government website about it is here systĂšme d'information de l'Etat | Modernisation
and once you’ve read that, if you think you can give them a few tips, I’m sure they’d welcome it :grinning:

4 Likes

Sylvia Taylor-Reynolds

Morning Stella. Thank you for offering to correct my name. Have a good day

Sylvia

This post is slightly muddled but if Vincent has told you that you don’t need to complete a tax return if you have been in France for less than 6 months then he is giving incorrect advice.

As Anna has said, if you come to France intending to be permanently resident then you are required to complete a French tax return from the date of arrival and you must include your worldwide income. Failure to comply with the law can be costly and is extremely unwise.

2 Likes

That is correct Mandy, I suspect that Sylvia may be remembering older advice. The UK and France now use Split Year assessments. FYI, I left the UK and became a tax resident of France in July 2017.

Anna, I have worked on many large projects some Europe wide involving EU agencies, I have no further interest in doing so. My apologies for the offence I feel I have caused.

1 Like

Martin
 I think you need to edit your Post (at least I hope you meant Sylvia and NOT me
 :slight_smile: )

I did. See, I said I had no interest in IT any more, I was not even looking at what I typed Sorry.

You are forgiven

France is new to internet, compared with other EU countries. The Notaire notified my local tax office.

Our paper bill has arrived in UK today.

1 Like

Ditto, well, yesterday in fact.

1 Like

Excellent
 so there’s no escaping the property taxation for the new owner 
:thinking:

Sadly no-one informs the Mairie when a property is sold

OK the Seller may whoop and holler in excitement as he/she does a jig around the Mairie reception area
helpful if they do so
 but mostly, no-one mentions anything

So, until the Buyer actually visits and identifies as the new Owner
 well, things can remain unchanged for years and years
 ooops.

I’m pretty certain the Notaire must have notified the TrĂ©sor Publique when we bought because I most certainly did not do a jig around the Mairie! :slight_smile: