Tax Fonciere unexplained rise

Small commune, quick turnaround for permissions.

1 Like

Hi all, am getting mixed messages on ā€œwhenā€ my first tax bill comes due. So, I bought the house this August. The seller paid up the yearā€™s taxes and I paid Her back the differenceā€¦ So now I believe I donā€™t pay the next tax due until Oct 2023? (Tax Fonciere) Thanks!

1 Like

This is the known down side of Macronā€™s promise to reduce / remove the taxe dā€™habitation.

How so? same meat, different gravy surelyā€¦

Thanks Stella. Unfortunately we wonā€™t return to France until May. We just got back from a long stay to find the bill waiting for us. I suppose I could email the Mairieā€¦ā€¦Iā€™ll look for an email address. Thanks you for your suggestion.

Is this a 2nd home? - if so make sure the trĆ©sor publique knows, and youā€™ll get the bills sent to your UK address.

Ah, but it is how the gravy is thickened that countsā€¦

The removal of the TH, which applied to every occupant of a building irrespective of whether they were owners or not, has forced communes to up their local percentages of the tax burden for property owners, rather than for everyone, including additional taxation in many cases on the value of buildable land.

Personally, we currently benefit from the switch to TF only because the salary pyramid of the commune is skewed to the lower end (farmers, and low skilled, low wage workers), has low fiscal rental values for most of the properties, and provides virtually no services. The increase in the communeā€™s part is minimal. I didnā€™t mind paying TH and TF (since Iā€™ve pretty much paid it for the best part of 30 years), but there you go.

1 Like

Hello again. Yes, itā€™s a holiday home. We bought it in Nov 2018, had a fab year there in 2019 and then Covid hit and we barely got there at all in 2020 and 2021. The bill was pretty much the same the previous 3 years, but suddenly this year there are now 2 addresses on the reverse where they show the calculation. Our house was originally 2 houses, itā€™s 100s of years oldā€¦.and we have changed nothing since buying it. Part of the ā€˜secondā€™ house was incorporated in to our house and part in to our neighbourā€™s. He has an independent studio apartment within his house, and I wonder if this has somehow been added to our bill. Both our and his house form part of the walls of the old village. Our living room is underneath his bedroomā€¦.and so on. Just not sure how to get to the bottom of it!

Get your docs for the purchaseā€¦ that should give the details of what youā€™ve bought.
check the details against the latest Bill.

what dept is your property in??

Drome

Yes, and the bills are sent to us here in UK. We just got back from France.

1 Like

Definitely make sure the status is correct at the trĆ©sor - apart from not getting tax bills sent to the property (always embarrassing to arrive and find a bill which should have been paid three weeks ago) tax dā€™Habitation is only being phased out for primary residences and you would not want either a huge bill when the trĆ©sor realises or, worse, the accusation that you were deliberately trying to avoid payment.

OIC :slight_smile:

Just wondering if this latest Bill is a ā€œcatch-upā€ā€¦ from when the 2nd house was divided up.

If it was incorrectly registered whenever it was doneā€¦ this could be the Tax folk putting things rightā€¦
need to check the purchase docs etcā€¦
there are so many ifs and butsā€¦ a quagmireā€¦

ahhh. the UK equivalent of a flying leasehold. I wonder if such a thing exists in France and how it is handledā€¦

Have a look on your impots.gov.fr site
You can check the number of buildingsā€™ surfaces and fiscal numbers etc etc for each.

I know of a house with attached double-width garage and garage-loft.
Some years ago, the Owner sold half the garage width and the entire garage-loft to her nextdoor neighbour. He put up a wall dividing the garageā€¦ was thrilled to have a garage for his car and the large room above which greatly enhanced his small cottageā€¦

all done through the Notaireā€¦ I presume the Fonciere is OKā€¦

Hi there :grin:,
Can I strongly suggest that you use Deepl translate!!! Itā€™s far superior to gobbledygook, and has different types of translation, formal and informal. Use it to write a list of bullet points and take it with you to the mairie. Preparation is where itā€™s at. Good luck.

2 Likes